v. Secrets of Venice

nine lives
chapter five.

(content warning: mentions of derealization)

AGNES COULD HARDLY REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED AFTERWARDS. Maybe it was because of the adrenaline that had pumped throughout her veins and made her focus on survival only. Or maybe it was the stupid derealization that still didn't seem to want to leave her just, yet.

All the way down and out of the cave until they were back in the Tardis was a blur. She had hardly registered the conversation between the Doctor and Amy or the goodbyes that were then exchanged with River and the other clerics. River had smiled at her and squeezed her shoulder, saying something about looking forward to breakfast with her and the Romans. And then she was gone and the Doctor had pulled her towards the Tardis and inside.

Now she was sitting on the jumping chair, wrapped inside a blanket, probably meant for the shock, not that she needed it of course, and followed the Doctor's movement around the console with her eyes.

She thought that maybe this wasn't how it should be. Maybe there was supposed to be more excitement from her side. Wasn't she meant to go around the Tardis, jump up and down with excitement and ramble about how it was so much bigger on the inside than on the outside?

But instead, she was sitting here like being inside a time and space ship that was dimensional transcendent was the most casual thing. She felt the Doctor's glance on her from time to time, but she decided to ignore it.

The warmth was slowly returning to her body, the blanket helped in that aspect. Maybe wrapped inside it a little bit longer would help her feel more like herself again.

"I want to go home," Amy spoke into the silence. She sat next to Agnes and had stared into the air with a thoughtful expression on her face until then. Now she was looking towards The Doctor, who halted in his movements and Agnes saw his shoulders tense a little.

"Okay."

The shift in the air was noticeable and Amy let out a laugh, getting up to walk towards the Doctor to tell him she just wanted to show him what she was running from. Not because she wanted to leave him.

Agnes already knew what that was of course.

When the Doctor had parked the Tardis in Amy's bedroom he didn't immediately follow the redhead inside. Instead, he knelt down in front of her, looking up at Agnes with a concerned expression. She felt frustrated when her sight didn't clear up.

"Are you holding up?" The Doctor asked, reaching to place his hands on hers.

She considered the question for a second, rolling it over in her mind as she tried to assess the situation at hand.

"You're still blurry," was her only response.

The Doctor nodded. "It'll go away, I promise."

He gave her a reassuring smile and Agnes nodded. "Okay."