Chapter 28

☆Blaze☽

Chapter 28:

         I was lying in bed, staring up at the ceiling while blasting “Apologize” by One Republic. Someone once told me it was one of those songs that was good if you only listened to it once a month. I counted today as making up for every once a month I had missed since birth.

            “Well, this is depressing as fuck,” Hayden noted from the door. I hadn’t even realized he was standing there. I was too lost inside my own mind.

            “Go away,” I muttered to the ceiling. Hayden didn’t move though.

            “You’re so done when Mom gets home.” He leaned against the door frame and I rolled my eyes. Because I didn’t already know that. I rolled over onto my stomach to pause the music and faced him.

            “Do you think there’s any way to not tell her?”

            “One step ahead of you, bro. I checked the voicemail and her email already, both messages have been deleted,” he said happily, even going as far as to flash a smile. I looked at him inquisitively; he knew all too well how to hide things from Mom.

            “You seem experienced.”

            “What are you talking about? I’m the perfect child.” Hayden held up his hand to make a frame around his face and I snorted. I was the perfect child; the one that Mom and Dad put all their faith into. Key word: was.

            “Yeah, can I get that on tape so I can show it to Gemma after your accident is born?”

            He threw his head back in frustration and let out a breath. “Why do you all think I’m going to knock up Gemma?”

            “Little possible ginger children running around the house.”

            “Oh God, soulless ginger children,” he said in mock horror. I laughed.

            Hayden cleared his throat to make sure he had my attention and then nodded towards my phone. “You should call him,” he advised.

            “Who?”

            Hayden gave me an exasperated expression and indicated, “Loverboy.”

            “I don’t want to,” I replied somewhat honestly. I didn’t even know what I would say. I had ignored all of his messages up until now, and my worst fear was that he would just show up at my house, forcing us to deal with out problems. I didn’t want to deal with it. I wanted to stay in my room until I could actually hate him for what he did, instead of just pretending to hate him.

            ‘Yeah, well I don’t want to watch Titanic with Gemma every Friday night, but it gets me laid so I do it anyways.” I cringed at the mention of my brother’s sex life, but either he didn’t notice or he chose to ignore it.

            “Oh, God,” I muttered suddenly in realization. Hayden quirked an eyebrow, as if insisting that I go on. I sucked my teeth and then let out a loud laugh. “I’m going to graduate a virgin.”

            “Please tell me you’re joking.”

            “Okay, Elliot, if you’ve been with that guy for months and he hasn’t forced himself into your pants by now than you better call him, because you’re not going to find another guy like him.”