Mother Miranda

Donna and Angie lead the young officer into a weird cave system and stopped before a heavy wooden door. Old ruins, that seemed to emerge from the stones themselves were present as well.

„She is just up ahead." Angie said. „Be careful what you say whilst in her present."

Alexander nodded and wanted to step through when he felt a cold hand grabbing his wrist. It was Donna. She still remained silent but her doll was alive like always. „Do NOT anger her." she repeated.

„Understood." he answered in a military tone and stepped through the door. What he saw was a strange, dark and twisted place of a laboratory. Gruesome pictures were hanging from the walls, shelfs filled with books and desks full of weird equipment, drawings and photos. One of them depicted a woman with long and dark hair, holding a baby in her arms.

And then he saw her. A quite tall woman, dressed in fine, dark clothes. She looked like a priestess. A golden mask hid most of her face, only showing her eyes and her lower jaw. „I heard you have asked for a.... unusual request."

„Yes, I asked for a letter to my family."

The woman seemed amused by his words. At least he could tell from her voice. „Surely you understand that I cannot allow such things. I have forbidden all contact with the outside world. Especially from... prisoners."

Something didn't seem right to him. „If that is the case why did you call me here? Surely you have more important business to attend to."

„Hm." she said, looking him up and down, judging him. „Because no one has ever requested that before. Everyone tries to escape, not ask for one last chance to write to their beloved."

„As a soldier, I understand that prisoners have the right to escape."

„I suppose you are right." she admitted. „But I do not take kindly to escape attempts." She took a step forward. „And I certainly do not take kindly to those that want to trick me."

Alexander has thought for a long time what exactly he was going to write. Perhaps a coded message? But in the end he thought that the best and perhaps only thing he could do was to accept that he was stuck here. For now at least. „I just want to let them know that I am alright and they don't have to worry. It... will be close to the truth, but of course I won't write anything that will disrupt whatever regime you have going on here."

Miranda tilted her head to the side. She did not expect such honesty. „Very well." she suddenly said and turned around to a strange, scientific construction where liquids were laying around. „Pen and paper are in the desk."

This sudden and positive response surprised Alexander who started to write immediately. When he turned his head to the cult leader, he saw that she was still working on something. But he had no doubt that she had eyes in the back of her head.

„Dear mother and father,

By now you have probably heard that I was declared missing or something like that. As you can see from this letter, I am alive and well. I should probably explain:

While we were traveling to the border, we came across a village in the mountains. A small one in a god-forsaken region. Not even our fellow Romanian comrades would be able to name this village. Initially we were just taking a break and while we stayed there, I met a beautiful woman around my age. She is naive and funny, yet fierce if necessary. A weird and interesting combination. So interesting in fact, that I fell in love with her.

So after we resumed our march, I used the first chance to desert and return to the village. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. Maybe you think I am a coward or an idiot for leaving my old life behind for a girl.