fifteen

Quick A/N: I decided to give you all an extra long chapter to apologize for being gone so long! Let me know your thoughts in the comments

It's been over a week since Damien kissed me, and he's been avoiding me ever since. The day after it happened, I went to see him in his office for our usual meeting, but the door was locked and there was no answer. Aside from English class, where he blatantly ignored my presence, I haven't seen him at all. I couldn't help but feel both furious and confused. Did he regret kissing me? Was he embarrassed? I haven't slept well in what feels like ages, tossing and turning at night while wrestling my anxious thoughts. Tomorrow is our class trip to Venice, and I could only hope he'd talk to me then. He had to. Right? Desperate for some sort of connection, I pulled out my phone, seeing as it was already one in the morning and we had to leave by six.

ANASTASIA
Hey...are you up?

Two minutes later, I get a response.

DAMIEN
I am.

ANASTASIA
So...why are you avoiding me?

DAMIEN
I think we both know why, Ana.

ANASTASIA
You don't have to be embarrassed, or ashamed, or whatever it is that you're feeling. I asked you to kiss me, and you did. We both wanted it, so what's the problem?

DAMIEN
The problem is that I could lose my job. My goddamn teaching license can be revoked and I'd have wasted years earning this prestige for nothing.

ANASTASIA
And what makes you think anyone would find out?

DAMIEN
Ana. It's too risky, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry. The phrase echoed in my head. In the span of five minutes, this man had made me feel so alive and yet so furious once again. If it was "too risky" then why did he kiss me without a second thought when I asked him to? I let out a loud groan as I locked my phone, setting it on my nightstand and rolling back onto my left side. I knew sleep was out of the question at this point, but I laid quietly in my bed wishing for it's presence to grace me.

6:00 IN THE MORNING

I woke back up at 5:30, unsure of how many hours of sleep I'd gotten, to change into some comfortable clothes for the long drive to Venice, and make sure I had everything I needed from my packing the night before. Slipping out of my oversized t-shirt, I grabbed the clothes I'd laid out on my bed the night before. A pair of light gray joggers and a plain white v neck. After double checking I had all my essentials and brushing my hair and teeth, I headed outside my dorm to brace myself for an excruciating six hour drive.