Here's to You, My Bygone Future

"You better realize my ability, the old soldier of the Empire era!" Nagant and her dummy links peeked out from behind the trees they were using as cover and nailed two Prowlers in their optics.

"Keep their attention on us, remember!" StG44 said while reloading her rifle. Over the past week, Sangvis's movement in the sector had spiked which meant StG44 and her echelon were always busy. Currently, they were pinning down a group of Sangivs that was at the remains of a vehicle convoy which appeared to be blown off the side of one of the many dirt roads that snaked through the forest. "AA-12, what's your status?"

"Uuugh," came the response through the echelon link. "We're here." While StG44, Nagant, and Galil kept the attention on them, AA-12 and M2HB were ordered to sneak across the road to pincer the enemies. "Honestly, the Commander keeps splitting us up into these groups when we're supposed to be a single echelon."

"Oh come now~," M2HB said as she and her dummy links set up in the dirt. "We make quite the team."

"Tch," AA-12 clicked her tongue in annoyance as she stood up. "Just make sure you don't shoot me, or I'll never let you live it down."

"Yes, yes~." As M2HB finished setting up, AA-12 and her dummy link charged out from the brush they were using to hide behind. A Vespid saw the approaching t-doll and went to attack, but was mulched by light machinegun fire. "You're not running away~!"

"...And people say I have a circuit loose," AA-12 quietly remarked to herself as she and her dummy deployed their shields and charged into the rear of Sangvis' line. At this range, her shotgun easily tore through the Vespids that M2HB hadn't shredded yet.

"Behind you!" As AA-12 advanced further into Sangvis' line, StG44's voice came over the echelon link causing AA-12 to spin around and raise her shield just in time to have it be slammed against by a large piece of metal.

"Eh?" Forcing her shield arms to extend, AA-12 leaped back and saw that a group of four Guards had been hiding inside an SBA-60K2 Bulat that she was currently next to. "You're supposed to be my equivalent, twin-tails?" AA-12 grit her teeth in annoyance. "Now I'm getting serious." The Guards formed a shield wall and began firing their pistols at AA-12 who rushed towards them with her own shields raised. The shields clashed causing the heels of the Guards to dig into the dirt, but they didn't budge.

"Attack prepared!" Galil activated her skill causing her and her three dummy link's to pour their power into their optics and recoil compensators for momentary pinpoint accuracy. Two Guards fell to well-placed headshots while the other two backed off behind the Bulat.

"Where are you going?!" AA-12 wasn't about to let these 'shield' dolls off the hook and rushed after them. Using their shield arms, AA-12 and her dummy forced the two remaining Guards up against the Bulat. "Just disappear!" With their shields preoccupied, AA-12 reached around, put her shotgun to the Guard's head, and blew it to pieces. Her dummy link quickly followed her example and the lifeless bodies of the Guards fell to the ground. "Hmph," AA-12 brushed off some metal bits that had flown onto her coat, "Victory is one of my few specialties."

"Well done, everyone, all Sangvis signals are gone," StG44 said as she, Nagant, and Galil crossed the road to reform their echelon. "Now then, let's move on to phase two."

***

"This is the fourth abandoned convoy fight this week." Zeldri stared at the monitors that displayed the optic views of his t-dolls. "Now, I'm positive in my theory."

"You're theory?" Annika asked as she stood next to him starring at the screens.

"Sangvis is looking for something." He thought Annika would ask another question, but instead, she seemed to understand his train of thought.