The Scarecrow's Gambit

"Alert! Sangvis Ferri forces have breached the perimeter of the base! This is not a drill! Alert! Sangvis Ferri forces have breached the Mountain!" The loudspeakers next to the exterior door of the Mountain continued to blare as the last human outside collapsed dead on the concrete. Sangvis units swarmed the outer lot and lined up outside the vehicle door as it slowly opened for them.

"Honestly," Scarecrow muttered to herself as she watched the door open. "You knew we were hunting your codes but didn't think we already had some?" Her fists clenched as disgust overcame her at the human's audacity. The t-dolls outside weren't nearly enough to withstand her full force crashing down on them. And, thanks to her spoofing signals, her main force was able to approach the Mountain undetected until it was too late. Once the door was completely open, Scarecrow flicked her conductor's baton forwards. "Advance!"

"...!" Guards formed a front line and entered the Mountain's main tunnel followed by Vespids and Rippers. Scouts rushed ahead to spread panic and catch any runners that managed to escape through the personnel door before it had closed. But, they weren't faster than Scouts. Screams started filling the tunnel as both humans and a-dolls were torn apart by plasma. One a-doll tripped and fell to the ground. They turned and saw a Scout hover over them priming its weapons to fire.

"Let us fight! And grasp our future!" Only for the Scout to be shot out of the air as a sniper round pierced its visor. The a-doll had gotten deep enough inside to be in range of the checkpoint at the vehicle bay's entrance. Mondragon pulled the bolt back on her rifle and chambered another round. "Cover any fleeing staff! Machine gunners, don't bother with the Scouts and wait for the main force! Rifles, open fire!" She relayed the orders she was receiving from Zeldri and continued to pick off the approaching Scouts. The a-doll that tripped suddenly found themselves yanked up by their shirt collar as Makarov rushed to their side and started dragging them to safety.

"I'm already on the battlefield, I won't let you lay a finger on my comrades!" She waited for a Scout to stop moving before firing and not giving it a chance to return fire as she escorted the a-doll back.

"Locked on," SV-98 activated her skill and leveled her rifle at the closest Scout. "Fire!"

"I-If you come any closer, I'll shoot!" FN-49 tried to steady her aim as her body shook with fear.

"FN-49, remain calm," Mondragon stoically counseled the t-doll. "Focus on saving as many as you can!"

"R-Right!" FN-49 took a deep breath before she continued to fire at the approaching Scouts.

"Good, no-!" A plasma bolt whistled past her head causing Mondragon to duck down behind the concrete barrier. "The main force is here!" Vespids fired over the Guards who led their charge through the tunnel.

"End their miserable lives!" PK popped out and started laying down suppressive fire.

"Keep firing!" Mondragon shouted over the roar of the machine guns as M1918 and MG34 joined PK and started opening fire. However, because of an oversight by Zeldri, the combat and logistic echelons got priority when it came to dummy links which meant no one at the checkpoint was fighting at full strength. This oversight was proving to cost him dearly. "We'll hold them as long as we can, Commander!"

***

"Just keep delaying! I've ordered all logistics teams to RTB as fast as they can so just hold out!" Zeldri quickly swiped through his tablet as he continued to relay orders to the dolls. "Horris, Annika, stay here! MDR, SVD, cover the entrance! I don't think they know about the train tunnel, so you shouldn't have to worry about it!" As fast as his bad leg would allow, Zeldri started to hurry out of the train yard.