Part 14

Gi-hun's Pov </3

It had been a few days since I won the game. We found Y/n dead the morning after Sae-byeok died. A knife in her stomach. A suicide. At least that's what we thought. The knife looked as if it was in her pocket and stabbed her by accident in her sleep. Poor girl :(

Sang-woo and I had to play the last game amongst ourselves. Sang-woo, also killed himself. I wasn't feeling too good about myself. I got the money, but I didn't want it anymore. Not after what it cost.

My mother died as well. While I was away. I wanted to end it all. But I had to stay.

Gi-yeong needs me, I'm her dad. Her real dad. And I promised Sae-byeok I'd look after her brother, Y/n I'd look after Ali's family, if I ever find them, and Sang-woo I'd look after his mother. I needed some me time first though.

I couldn't escape the nightmare. I was scared to even listen to the radio, all they ever really did nowadays was talk about how the famous Korean singer, Y/n L/n, had suddenly gone missing a week ago, they played a lot of her songs too. She was such a hopeless romantic.

Her songs were so bittersweet, romantic but terribly sad. 

One of her most famous songs, 'A Soulmate Who Wasn't Meant To Be' reminded me of her and Sae-byeok. That's why I found it so sad. I knew they were close, but I think I caught them kissing before Sae-byeok died. Maybe it was a platonic kiss, maybe romantic. One thing I knew, they were soulmates. Whether they liked it or not.

Time skip <333

It has been almost a year since the game finished. Since my friends all died. Turns out the old man didn't die during game 4, and he was the one who made the game. Wtf.

Anyways, it was Ga-yeong's birthday and I was heading to America to see her. I actually got her a good present this year. I hope she liked it.

I had dealt with my friend's death wishes, all except Y/n's. I didn't know where to find Ali's family. I didn't even know if they were still in South Korea. 

I had given Sang-woo's mother all the money I had won, I took it out of the card and transferred it all to cash. I also gave her Sae-byeok's brother. Sounds weird, but I visited him at the children's home, and he thought Sae-byeok had abandoned him. Sad.

So, I took him in, then gave him to Sang-woo's mother with all the money. At least they wouldn't be lonely anymore.

The train to the airport just arrived, and I was climbing off. I was excited to see Gi-yeong. It had been too long. Sure we had phone calls, hell this one time we had a video call! How cool is that? But it wasn't the same as real life.

While walking through the crowd of people, someone to my left caught my eye.

No...

It couldn't be.

Not him.

Not now.

Not again.

Not ever.

It was that sales guy I played ddjaki with who gave me the game's business card. 

I dropped my bag, and ran to the other side. But he was gone. The guy he played ddjaki with wasn't gone yet.

I ran over to him, forcefully took the business card from him. I decided I'd wait til I was at the airport to call.

I had completely forgot to call it until I was boarding the plane.

The phone rang for a minute.

"Do you wish to participate in the game? If you wish to play, state your name and date of birth."

"Seong Gi-hun." I said. I can't believe I'm doing this. But I had to. I wanted to. For them. "October 31, 1974. Listen carefully. I'm not a horse. I'm a person. That's why I wanna know who you people are... and how you can commit such atrocities against people."

"Player 456." the man on the line said. "Don't get any absurd ideas. "

"That's why..." I began. "I can't forgive you for everything you're doing."

"Just get on that plane." the man said. "It's for your own good."

I hung up the phone and turned around.

I'm sorry Ga-yeong, but I have to go.

I need to stop these people.

I need to avenge my friends.