Chapter II

No one had said anything for a while after Ranpo had stated he couldn't deduce anything. It seemed as though he was dazed himself so he decided to go on a mission to distract himself. The others too had missions they had to finish leaving only Atsushi free as tanizaki types away at his computer.

He didn't want to bother the red head so he quietly made his exit and left the safety of the ADA headquarters.

{<<|>>}

"Just a regular coffee and a chocolate donut please!"

The barista Infront of him nodded and quickly yet efficiently made his coffee and places the donut in a small paper bag, handing them to him with a kind smile.

"Here you go! Come again!"

"Thank you!"

Atsushi smiled as he felt the warm treat from the small bag aswell as it's heavenly smell. He looked around for a spare seat but sweated a little when he saw all the tables were taken, he didn't want to go outside either since it was pretty windy..

He bit his lip before spotting an open space opposite a figure who's face was covered by a book, a steaming cup of tea Infront of them, he gulped and made his way over, standing at the edge of the table awkwardly, swinging on his heels a little.

"U-uhm..excuse me..may I sit here?..if not it's fine I can-"

"Go ahead. I don't mind."

He blinked at the femine voice that spoke bluntly and quickly sat down, a silence enveloped them but it didnt feel bad considering the woman was enveloped in the book she was reading and Atsushi scarfed down his donut in pure bliss.

It didn't take long for him to finish but his coffee was still too hot to drink, and he felt awkward sitting there, should he say something? No she's reading- he didn't want to bother her- but it feels really awkwar-

"Spit it out."

"H-huh?-"

Atsushi looked over at the woman who spoke, hearing a sigh as the hand holding the book, snapped it shut and lowered it down on the table, revealing a young woman, she had s/c skin and a gleaming set of e/c eyes that stood out thanks to her h/c hair.

"I can tell when people want to say something so spit it out."

"O-oh!- u-um- what are you reading?"

The woman stared at him blankly before pushing her book towards him allowing him to see the cover which read 'Psychology of the human mind'

"It's about the way people think and act. I find it interesting and useful. It can help you know what a person is thinking and predict what to do"

Atsushi nodded and held the book, reading the small summary on the back before handing it to her.

"I see- that is actually really interesting, are you thinking of becoming a psychologist- oh! I'm sorry if I'm assuming! I just thought!-"

"No. I'm not. I just enjoy studying humans. They're such fascinating creatures no?"

He blinked at her choice of her words. 'studying humans?' why did she say it like that? Anyone would have said 'people'

His thoughts were cut off as she stood up, taking her book and placing on her long black jacket.

"Well I must get going. Goodbye."

He decided not to dwell on it since people had their own train of thought so who was he to judge, right?

"Oh! Bye!"

The woman walked out of the cafe and checked her watch, seeing it was the exact time she predicted, looking up and seeing a young man walk out of a store making her smirk and take out her phone.

"Humans are so predictable."