1. Harris

TIME MACHINE

I am so impressed to myself that after months of sleepless nights and non-stop working, at last, I've finally finished my invention; the super monoatomic holographical phone Android 36.0.

Great! I should test it with my other co-scientists at Oxford University.

I was supposedly calling mom to schedule my flight to London for the testing of my devices together with my other chemical substances when I heard Arielle and Stephanie's voice. Sure, they are really annoying.

I opened the six-way-lock imitational glass door, which I use for security purposes when Arielle and Stephanie barged in.

"What are you doing here?! I thought we're clear that no one is going to disturb me today! My flight to London will be later at night, and if this is about the ball, I'm telling you, I won't do mundane activities this week." I told them and rolled my eyes.

There are things far important than that. Geez.

"Don't be a loser, Harris. Are you thinking straight? As in, straight?" Stephanie paused, confused. "I mean, you should think like how we think, not like some old woman. Duh, it's a ball! What's more important than a ball?!" Stephanie yelled.

"Let me guess, Dude. This is about the impending war, isn't it?" Arielle said in a bored manner.

I looked at Arielle weirdly. "Please, tell your dad that he should not tell you stuffs you shouldn't suppose to know."

She shrug and turn her cap around. A habit of her when she's in a bad mood.

"It's quite the opposite, Harris." Stephanie said while grinning meaningfully at me.

"What does that mean?" I asked Arielle, confused.

"She told her dad about her new suitor-" Stephanie started.

"Men, why does my old man prevents me from entertaining Jin? It's just a ball. Hell, we're not even dating! He's just going to be my escort." Arielle said, annoyed.

I stared at the both of them indifferently.

"So, this is how you convinced Arielle to go to the ball with you?" I looked at Stephanie with distaste evident on my face. Arielle is not the type of girl who will waste her time going to a college dance party.

"Yeah; and I'm planning to do the same thing to you." Steff said while handing me a red elegant envelope.

Geez. This is absurd. "Then, I'm warning you, it's not going to work."

I placed the envelope at my desk and turned my back at them.

Instead of chatting with them, I went to my office table and wore my goggles and gloves and buttoned up my lab gown. I entered the confinements of my vacuum chamber where I am conducting laser test for alloys to see how they affect nuclear materials.

Last month, I failed in my experiment when the degree of mixture that I used with the base metals for the irradiation was substandard. The next day, I arranged a flight to Idaho National Laboratory to observe their Stress Corrosion Cracking rig.

I guess this will take a year or more to finish, but the Department of Science and Technology is telling me to speed up the progress since the Philippines is going to war. I am also part of the confidential nuclear bomb testing and told them that it will take quite a long time before the country perfects it.

"What is the meaning of this, Harris?!" Stephanie's high-pitched voice surprised me.

"Dude, what is that thing?!" I creased my forehead on Arielle's manly voice.

Geez. They did followed me. I turned around and saw them wearing my spare lab gowns and gloves.

"What are you doing here?!" I shouted. "It's dangerous inside this chamber. Get out!"

I shooed them away but they just smirked at me.

"Come on, Dude. That thing is better than this chamber." I didn't mind Arielle's taunting voice and just let them wander outside.

It's better if they stay out of this chamber facility. They're just exposing themselves to radiation.

"Harris, what's this big blue room?!" Stephanie's voice is echoing from somewhere, but it's incomprehensible to my ears.

"What?!" I shouted. But no one answered.

The deliberation for the experimental apparatus that I invented last year is scheduled three days from now. It will be held on Stanford University. I will attend the press conference for my mother's new discovered chemical element later on. My schedule for this year will be hectic that I doubt I can even attend our graduation ceremony in October.

"Oooh, this flying thing is amazing, Harris!" That was Arielle's voice.

"Hey, try to open this, Arielle." Stephanie's commanding voice.

"What are they doing?" I stood up and left the vacuum chamber and followed their voices until a tremendous explosion took me by surprise. White smoke emitted and a smell of rotten eggs are in the air.

It must be the hydrogen sulfide!

I am panicking before I even reach the simulation room.

"Shit!" I swear under my breath.
I tried to calm myself down but it was all in vain. This is going to be a disaster.

"Why did you open my time machine?!"

To be continued...

FACT/S:
1.) Idaho National Library is conducting Irradiation Assisted Stress Corrosion Cracking rig that enables study of how stresses affect nuclear materials like advanced alloys.

PHOTO CREDITS:
1.) Target Chamber @ Lawrence Livermore National Library