4. Harris

POISON

They threw me inside of another prison. A small wooden cage pulled by horses.

This time I have no cuffs and chainball at my hands and feet. Still I should've pledge my loyalty instead of attempting to escape but it seems that foolishness never choose when to strike.

The guard snickered and I glared at him in return. They didn't spare any water or bread in the past sixteen hours... Or is it thirty-six? We're travelling back on the desert. I lost track of daylight. It seared fire on my skin and seems to go on forever but the night was worse. The bitter cold almost froze my tongue at the back of my mouth.

"Ready to work for the prince?" I frowned and looked up to stare at the owner of the voice. Bull, the bald scarred guy was grinning at me. He's thrice as huge as the other guard. His size makes me ten times smaller. I shivered.

"W-Will..." I cleared my throat, it's dry from heat and exhaustion of screaming earlier. "Will the prince feed me if I do?" I asked and gritted my teeth. I have to be practical.

If I could only open the three locks. I threw away the pin I've been bending earlier. Bull noticed and smirked alongside with the other guard. I knew it, that's why they left it here. They've been baiting prisoners to free themselves.

Bull nodded and pointed towards the colorful phaeton where the prince was probably sleeping. "Prince Arshiya will even give you half of his portion in the food supplies. He'll even lend his coach while we push our way to the south of Margiana, a priviledge as an honored guest."

I nodded. They're still thinking I am this bandit Shazad. If they found out, it could actually mean death. But if I could use the opportunity of entering the prince's domain where tools can be possibly easier to acquire, I could finally trace Arielle and Steff.

I've already had a hunch on why I can speak their language and understand their thick accent. I could also come up with a disguise better than a piece of scarf and a turban. They've already removed it earlier. I'm lucky that the dirt and ink of coal and mud from gunpowder were smeared at my nose and forehead.

"Your Highness, Shazad the bandit is here." Bull pushed me inside the huge coach. I gasped and almost toppled on the carpeted floor.

I scrambled on my place and immediately bowed and kneeled in front of the prince as Bull instructed. My heart is thudding loudly inside my chest. My palms and forehead were sweaty against the floor. "Prince Arshiya, m-my name is Shazad from..." I heaved a deep breath. "From Bactria, I am at your service."

The coach fell silent and yet my words were echoing in my head, hollow even to my ears. I could feel the walls trapping me, choking me in nervousness.

I waited for the signal. And waited. There was not even a hinting sound, a cough or even shuffling of clothes.

It was three minutes already, how long will I have to stay in this uncomfortable position?

I dared glance up just five degrees from my position but I also casted my eyes downward in a heartbeat. He was watching me, his eyes were cold and indifferent. He seems calculating my worth and trying to intimidate me by lengthening the anticipation.