Chapter Twenty-Four

Skylar

As he advanced closer to me, I stood up. Anxiety filled my veins, until my heart was beating faster than ever before.

I had a good reason. Ryder was unpredictable when his wolf was out. Axel.

I backed away and was about to turn and run when he caught me by my wrist, which no longer had the cast on, but I still needed to be gentle with it.

I felt slight pain in his tight grip as he pulled me closer. Tears were already brimming in my eyes, and I squeezed them shut. I can't cry right now.

"I don't know who you are to think you can disrespect me. I'm sick of it. Even if we are mates, you are lower than me. You are a human. Pathetic. Measly." Those tears that I was trying to keep away just popped out. Every word was like a punch to my heart. breaking it. But he didn't stop, he continued.

"And when I want respect. I get it. I always get what I want. Well, except for your respect. So, how about from now on, you just do as I say. It should be easy." His grip on my wrist was removed, only to be replaced on my waist. He tightened his hold, almost to the point where I was afraid my bone would break. I knew it wasn't actually a suggestion though. It was a warning. Something bad was going to happen if I didn't listen.

"I-I will," I stammer out.

"You will what?" Axel asks. I can hear the smugness. I knew he felt superior for being able to control me.

"Listen to you."

He let's go of me and turns me around so that I'm facing him. Our bodies were too close. I could feel the heat radiationg off of his body.

He looks deep into my eyes. And my eyes seemed entranced in his black ones.

"Good," he says, before Ryder's blue eyes are back.

As soon as they are, I look down.

"Hey. I'm sorry," he says softly. "You just don't understand, Skylar. I'm a werewolf. I'm a King at that. I demand respect without even trying. And my wolf had it with..."

"Me. I get it," I finish hoarsely. "Can't you find a different mate? One that is submissive and will listen?"

He puts his thumb and index finger on my chin, lifting up.

"I don't want anyone but you," he states. He just stares into my eyes for a few seconds, before leaving me baffled.

*

The party had started one hour ago and was in full swing. The hotel manager had happily allowed us to stay once Ryder paid him $100,000. I never even asked him to, he just did it.

Not that I acknowledged him for it.

"I'm here," two people sing in my ear at the same time. It was Kaiyah and Makayla. They both looked rather pretty wearing matching blue dresses that came mid-thigh.

"Well, thanks for showing up!" I say over the loud music. I let a fake, broad smile overtake my face. I was still shaken up about Ryder, more-so Axel. The warning was clear in my head, and I couldn't forget it.

"Yeah! Of course we'd come," Kaiyah says, smiling.

"So, who's all here," Makayla asks. "Dejah isn't, right?"

Makayla had a sneer on her face at the mention of Dejah. Her and Kaiyah no longer even looked at Dejah. Not that Dejah was worried about them. She quickly replaced them.

"Sorry. But my friend is friends with them."

"That new human? How'd she get in with them?" Makayla asks.