Chapter Twenty One

Cairo

I admire his car before I get in. Like every other car in this place, it was sleek. A Maserati? Oh come on, you know someone's rich if they're driving that. And to think that I always wanted a cute blue Buggy. These cars will put that to shame.

“We're going to the mall and going to Forever 21 first, because that place is awesome,” Skylar claims.

I just nod, causing her to sigh.

“Cairo, I deeply regret hurting your feelings. I don't like it when we don't talk to each other. You’re my best friend and I need you. I need you to come to school with me. I need you to be there for my first break up. I need you to defend me when Ryder says something wrong.” That one made me roll my eyes and crack a smile. There's no doubt King Ryder would just throw me in a jail cell.

“Life isn't right without you. And I tried to escape the first night here. Alec hated me, and I was already fed up with his crap. So, I built a rope out of bed sheets and slid down from my balcony. That is when I learned I was Ryder's mate. He and Ethan had come from a meeting, and he'd caught me. I'd passed out and woke up in the hospital. When we got home, he took my first kiss.”

“He also broke my wrist, which explains this cast.” she says, waving it around. “He has major anger issues and gets angry over almost everything I do.”

“But mainly two major things happened. One, a Rogue attack. Alec had just got done yelling and growling at me. I overreacted and ran out of the house.”

She starts to drive slowly, easing out of the circular driveway.

“And Ryder came out. We started yelling at each other, and a Rogue came out of no where. He wanted Ryder to make a trade with him. Me and he keeps his power.” Her voice is shaky, and I place my hand on her shoulder. Maybe I was wrong in this situation. Or maybe there was no right or wrong.

“Ryder said no, and wolves came out of no where and attacked. Ryder killed the Rogue's brother, and then he tried to kill me. Which explains these.”

She lifts the hem of her shirt up just below her bra, and I see five dots. They were all pink and cold to the touch.

“I'm so sorry,” I break. Her life was just as bad as mine.

“And I got into a car crash. I was trying to work things out with Ryder, and agreed to go on a date with him as friends to a little meadow in the woods. A Rogue flipped our car and-”

“Stop. Please. I don't want to hear anymore,” I say. The thought of my best friend being hurt made me want get a shovel, kill them, and then bring them back to life and kill them again.

“So that's why I didn't get to you sooner,” Skylar finalizes.

“I feel so bad now,” I admit guiltily. Those thoughts I thought, I didn't mean them did I? I didn't really think Skylar was selfish. I was just angry.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that, my subconscious laughs. I couldn't tell whether or not it was my good one or bad one, they didn't seem different nowadays.

“So once again, I'm sorry.”

“It's okay. I shouldn't have made assumptions and should've let you explain yourself before I got all dramatic.” Now I regret ripping that bracelet. It was our last reminder of our childhood, other than our memories.
You have each other, and you can make new objects that mark new memories. Now that was my good conscience for sure. My bad conscience would have said something like “you have anger problems.”