Chapter Two - I hate you

The spacious hall was full of people. Some were talking to each other, others were just arriving, and some were even drinking their second aperitifs. Exquisite hors d'oeuvres were lined up on the high tables, and the waiters constantly toured their areas to make sure that the guests lacked nothing.

Walter Summers stood at a distance from everyone, and although he seemed perfectly calm, he was actually very worried. He held the phone to his ear for a few more seconds, then tucked it in his jacket pocket.

"I am sorry Walter, but we have to start without her."

A young man, visibly in his thirty, had approached Walter. His appearance was very stylish, and his suit looked like it had a sign with a 5-digit sum on it. His expression radiated confidence and even arrogance.

"She will come, Andrew. I am sure!"

"An hour passed since the announced start. I can't make the guests wait any longer. We can't wait for her."

Walter sighed, then nodded his head in agreement. The two walked together, but then Andrew headed for the podium with the microphone, and Walter stood at one of the tables in front.

"Damn it, where are you, Tori?" Walter muttered to himself.

Andrew, meanwhile, stood behind the microphone with one hand in his pocket and straightened the lapel of his jacket with the other. There was an enviable complacency in his eyes.

"Dear guests. Thank you for being with us tonight." After catching the eye of those present, Andrew continued. "Walter Summers and I thank you for sharing with us the greatest moment for our companies."

As Andrew was saying this, he pointed his hand to the table downstairs, and at the same time, the spotlight illuminated Walter who in turn turned to the guests, nodded in greeting, then turned back to Andrew and nodded to him as well.

The spotlight turned again to Andrew, who continued his speech. "Namely the merger of Globe Ind and WSum!"

He paused for a moment, and the next moment there was applause in the hall.

"Thank you." He paused again for a moment until silence returned. "Walter and I have worked together for many years, we have always trusted and supported each other. He was my boss, but also something more - he was my mentor, he was like a father to me. I hope that trust and respect are mutual."

Andrew looked at Walter, who nodded again, confirming what was said.

"Through this merger, we believe we will put a new era in the industry."

The guests responded again with applause, but Andrew signaled that he was not over yet with his speech.

"I am no less excited and happy to announce that Victoria Summers, Walter's daughter, will be right next to me in the leadership. Unfortunately, she was not able to attend tonight."

But right in that moment, Victoria entered the room. She walked confidently, dressed in that short black dress, which did not accidentally look for so much time and which outlined the perfect curves of her body and emphasizing her long legs. Her hair was waving slightly, revealing her beautiful face. There was complete silence, and only the sound of her heels sounded in the hall. All eyes were on her.

She climbed onto the podium, stood close to Andrew, and pulled the microphone toward her.

"Actually, I would not miss this event for anything in the world. Dear guests." After that, she turned to Andrew. "Andrew."

She held her gaze on him for another second, then turned back to the guests.

"WSum has been a family company for generations. It's part of our history, it's who we are. My father is an intelligent person and I believe he knows what he's doing with letting it in Andrew's hands. So," she reached over and picked up the bottle of champagne that stood on a small table behind them. "Let's raise a toast to the merger."