Chapter Seven - Why?

The same day / At lunch

"Thank you for coming, Mum!"

"Of course, Tori! You sounded worried on the phone. Did something happen?"

"No, no Mum, I didn't want to make you worry. I just wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Do you know why dad sold our company to Andrew?"

"I don't know, honey. I also was surprised when he told me."

"Didn't you ask him for an explanation?"

"No, honey, I didn't. You know I never got involved in your father's business."

"But he has never talked about selling it. How all of a sudden? Is it because of me?"

"What are you talking about, Tori?"

"Do you think that if I were a boy... I mean, if he had a son instead of a daughter, he wouldn't do it?"

"Don't talk nonsense, honey. Your father has always felt blessed to have a daughter."

"Then why do I always feel that I am not good enough for him? That he thinks I'm not good enough to continue his work?"

"That's not true! Your father loves you so much. And we are so proud of you! You are a strong, capable, and independent woman. A father couldn't be more proud of his daughter."

"Yet, he sold WSum. He didn't give me a chance to prove to him how capable I am. Not only in words."

Victoria pursed her lips, and though their edges seemed to express a slight smile, her eyes expressed deep sadness.

"Nevermind. It doesn't matter anymore."

"Do you want me to talk to him, honey?"

"No. I just wanted to know the reason. But I guess I will never know it. It is how it is." She paused for a moment trying her best to change her expression. "Now tell me, how are you doing?"

"Don't worry about me, Tori. I am perfectly fine. Still waiting for a wedding, for grandchildren..."

"Oh, don't start again, mum! Believe me, there will be no wedding at least in the next 10 years."

A wedding was the last thing Victoria had thought of. It was the last thing on her mind right now.

The two ate their lunch, and then Victoria returned to the office to finish her work. Andrew didn't show up all day, which surprised her inwardly, but at the same time, she would never admit it.

***

Later in the evening / At Walter and Chloe Summers' house

Chloe was lying in bed reading a book. But after her husband lay down next to her, she closed it and set it aside.

"Walter, have you noticed Victoria behaving strangely?"

"I don't think so. Why do you ask?"

"Because today we had a strange conversation. She asked me if I know why you sold the company."

"Again with the company."

"Yeah, I think she has taken it very personally."

"Why?"

"She thinks that you think that she was not good enough to take over it and that's why you sold it. She said that she was not good enough for you."

"She thinks that she is not good enough for me? She is more than good. That's the problem."

"Maybe you can talk to her?"

"Of course, I will. I will talk to her tomorrow."

"Thank you, honey."

Walter kissed gently his wife on her forehead and then fall asleep.

Meanwhile at Andrew's house

Andrew was just coming out of the bathroom when his phone buzzed.

He smiled slightly when he saw that the message was from Victoria.

"When does the conference start tomorrow?"

"Are you sure you want to ask me that, Victoria? Or you want something else?"

"You should know by now that if I want something, I will take it. Is it so difficult for you to answer a simple question?"

"Why this nagging? Maybe I could stop by, to fix your mood?"

"I am not at home."

"Where are you?"

"Since when do I have to explain to you where I am going?"

Andrew narrowed his eyes, visibly irritated by Victoria's attitude. Or maybe from the thought of where she really is. Or with whom she was.

"Will you answer my question, Andrew, or not?"

"You can go wherever the fuck you want."

"I was talking about the conference. But thanks for your permission."

Andrew's face turned even angrier.

"9 am. Have a good night wherever you are."

Andrew tossed his phone on the couch and went to get a glass of whiskey.

At the same time, Victoria also put her phone next to her in bed, pulled back the blanket, and wrapped herself in it.

"Now I can sleep well," she said to herself, bursting into laughter.