Night 9

We have been wandering around for a bit on foot. We decided that the streets around here are too crowded for us to drive so we wrote down the location of the trucks and set out. While we walked we noticed a, how do I put this, gentlemen's club. Outside is a group of zombies that have no legs. There is also a singular skid mark on the ground. Based on the holes in the wall someone with a shotgun liquified some zombies kneecaps before taking off on a motorcycle. The bouncer appears to be one of the leg less zombies so clearly it wasn't him who escaped. Someone suggested going inside and looking around and because we have nothing better to do we walk in.

A TV in the entrance is playing a message from the USS George H. W. Bush about "The United States of America had not fallen, this infection is brutal but we will make it through this. Stay alive, stay safe, we are still out here and we will come back for you." It then played the US national anthem before shutting off. Once that ended it went back to the repeated alert from the office of the president warning about nuclear strikes against the undead. It looks like they just set all TV stations across the country to repeat that alert and just died before they could turn it off.

We continue into the club and see tons of dead bodies missing limbs, their heads, their torsos and anything else that can be torn apart by 12 gauge. The smell of rotting corpse is filling the air and we put on our gas masks to filter out the stench. We keep walking before finding a note on a wall. "Still alive, heading south to the Battery. -Sue" the date is set for one day ago. Looking around again I noticed how the interior of the club had the tables pushed to the sides and bodies were up against one wall in particular. I am willing to bet that whoever "Sue" is barricaded themselves in the club until now and then headed to a safer place when food ran out. We grab out shit and head back to the trucks. I also spotted another two FDNY companies parked at a flipped bus and stole the patches.

We drove south for 30 minutes slowly trying not to hit the tons of wrecked vehicles before finally reaching Battery Park. For a few moments we were hopeful that we had found safety based off the light coming from a fenced off area. That hope was shattered when the light was revealed to be flames. What rekindled some of that hope was the sound of a shotgun firing and a small burst of automatic fire. I decided that if anyone is alive we might as well try and help and since this area has less cars blocking the street I created a diversion.

The sound of the Q2B filled the air as our fire truck drove down the streets. In case you didn't know this siren was banned in NYC for being too loud but individual companies add it on themselves without permission regularly. Rescue 1 happens to be one of these companies. The thing is because it isn't replacing the old siren the truck has two decently loud sirens perfect for drawing in zombies. For good measure I also hold down the air horn as the zombies at the park run for the truck. A few run in front of the truck and are instantly splattered. After getting far enough away I turn off the siren and double back and left a cell phone blasting music behind.

When I get back the kids and two random survivors, a man and one woman, are fighting back the remaining zombies. I yell for them to get in the trucks and we speed off. We drive for a bit and stop at Central Park. There we talk to the other survivors about what happened. Apparently some US Coast Guard units tried to evacuate some people downtown. They actually managed to get most of them out before some fuckshits drove up and blasted music all over. These dumbasses caused the evacuation site to be overrun and the USCG units had to leave behind some survivors. I guess the whole USA still around thing was correct because at that moment a few US navy fighter jets flew over and bombed part of midtown. We cheered for a bit about that before the two survivors asked what we had been doing. I explained the entire thing from how we started in midtown and stole this truck before heading south to Brooklyn when the bridge collapsed behind us, the boat across and out trip out of NYC to the Pennsylvania nuclear power plant before seeing the bombings and hearing about our goal of LA falling which was when we decided to head back here. I mentioned the the club and apparently the woman was that Sue. These two had been riding around on a motorcycle trying to escape the horde.

While talking we decided to steal some new motorcycles, one for them and a few dirt bikes for us. Conveniently there was a bike shop a block down and when we got there we found exactly what we wanted. We did some sketchy shit to the rescue so that the bikes would be attached to the back and strapped two onto the back of the pickup. The other survivors tried to convince us to go with them but after a vote we decided to stay on our own. Sue didn't argue because, and I quote, "at this fuckin point you have seen more shit than me". Which based off of those two staying in a club for the first week while we drove across two states was accurate. We waved goodby to them and slept on the roof of an apartment building.