Day 10

I never thought I would be bored in the apocalypse. We have fuck all to do except for drive around NYC. I am still collecting FDNY patches but that can only go on so long, and it is only something for me to do. We really need to come up with an objective. Something exciting and meaningful, we spent a few minutes coming up with ideas and couldn't think of anything. That is until we realized that we could just clear areas of zombies. Honestly we might be retarded, why didn't we think of just killing things to pass the time sooner?

Our first location was the Upper West Side. It will have a lot of zombies in it so we need to be smart. The good thing is that it will not have any evacuation centers and there was only one hospital even nearby. The hospital is Mount Sinai West and is south of the area we will be clearing. Our problem will really be shear numbers, more than 214 thousand people lived here and with how fast the zombie virus spread there is little hope that they are uninfected.

After a short drive to the neighborhood we got out and grabbed every gun we had. We made sure all there were no gaps in our clothes that anything could bite through. I did miss a part on my neck but David noticed it before anything could go wrong. We also grabbed fire axes and halligan tools from the fire truck before moving in for our rampage.

We decided to be quiet as long as we could because without a doubt gunfire would attract the entire horde to us. I snuck up behind a zombie and embedded the spike on the halligan tool into its head. It dropped to the ground and I pulled the tool out before continuing on. We continued killing anything that moved when we saw something very useful. An entire national guard convoy. We killed the zombies around it and checked the trucks. An entire truck was filled with ammunition and weapon attachments. We resupplied and dragged some back to the trucks. Once that was secured we went back in. I had grabbed a bayonet and M4A1 from a dead soldier and that became my stealth weapon.

It only took a mega minutes to find a test subject for my bayonet. I walked up behind a zombie and thrusted the bayonet into its head before pulling it out. We kept on killing when a zombie that looked dead grabbed my leg. I tripped and the M4 hit the ground. The gun fired when it hit the ground and a car alarm was set off when the bullet impacted an SUV window. The zombie that tried to kill me was stabbed by another kid and I got up to see zombies approaching. We fired our guns into the horde and ran backwards toward the convoy.

When we got there we scrambled for anything that could save our asses. We found some explosives and were going to use that when someone found an M60 machine gun. We set up the MG on the hood of a state police car and loaded in a belt of ammo. I got the joy of firing that gun and when I held down that trigger you could see the horde drop. After the first belt was entirely used a second belt was loaded in and that was used. A few zombies approached from behind so I picked up the gun and turned around before using it on them. As the horde continued to approach David grabbed a grenade off a dead soldier and tossed it. The explosion rang and more zombies went down. 

We kept burning through ammo and it got to the point the M60 had a glowing orange barrel from the heat. It was clear that it would need to cool down before we loaded another belt so I unloaded with my M4. We sat there surrounded by zombies for another 20 minutes(but it felt like 20 hours) when we realized something. We killed all of them. We regrouped and checked each other over. A few zombies had gotten through and tried to bite us but the bunker gear blocked it.  We grabbed our shit and went to check for any zombies that weren't dead squared. We stabbed whatever was still alive and it dawned on us how many zombies were here. I decided to see how deep the corpse pile went, in one place it was 3 feet of dead bodies. We walked through the mostly empty streets after going over the piles and there was very few zombies left.

We realized it pretty quickly that we just fired tens of thousands of bullets at a horde and those rounds penetrated and killed the zombies behind the actual target. We alone had killed thousands of zombies. Honestly the military loosing is a miracle with how easy that was. If I had to give a reason for it I would assume it was just that they didn't react fast enough to the fact it was zombies and saw it as civilians. Meanwhile us kids just thought zombies and went off to kill. Considering the fact in the Bronx the NYPD was treating the horde like a protest I think I might be correct.

After waking around and killing off a few more(albeit MUCH smaller) hordes we decided to head back to the trucks. We were decently confident that we complete the task of retaking NYC from the horde. Once at the trucks we decided to relax and flip through radio channels for anything. We found some people talking about religion and how we need to kill ourselves to prove our devotion to God and that the "unworthy" were the ones being possessed and brought up by Satan to kill the believers. Honestly that dumbass is insane but I can't say I am all there after the shit we have seen over the past few days. We also found a channel that is just someone talking about the weather that will be coming in, it rain in Connecticut tomorrow FYI. 

The final radio channel was just sad. It was some lady saying her husband had been big and she was crippled. She was apparently laying on the floor beside him and he was beginning to get up. She just ended up crying for help as her infected husband ate here alive while she couldn't even run away. We turned off the radio and just sat as the sun began to set over the horizon. For the hell of it me and another kid went off and stole a bulldozer. We used it to move the pile of corpses off the road and into one large pile in a construction site. It took a while and it was getting dark but we did it. I poured alcohol from a nearby bar and set the pile on fire. In a few minutes thousands of bodies were burning and the smell filled the air for miles. To be honest it smelled like barbecue. We went back to the trucks and relaxed watching smoke rise from a few blocks away.

A/N: Not so fun fact: burning corpses do actually smell like barbecue, at least according to a relative of mine who died before I was born, said relative was in the Navy during WW2 and hated barbecue because it reminded him of what the Japanese soldiers killed by flamethrowers smelled like.