Day 5

So the fires burned themselves out overnight. There is still spot fires and a light haze of smoke but it is clearer. It also rained for a bit so there is water. The zombies are still non existent nearby but the fires have made everything unstable. We are going to continue the plan of heading west by the ferris.

We said goodbye to the survivors in the bank. Some of us decided to stay there because let's be honest, a fortified bank is better than some kids with guns. We entered our cars an drove off. We passed rubble that supposedly was buildings. There was almost nothing, no walls, no frames, nothing. It was like a laser zapped the entire area. There was cars melted onto the ground and metal inside the cracks in the road.

We stopped the trucks and walked through the debris. The cars had folded in on themselves from the heat, the molten metal had formed streams in the roads. I reached down and picked up a metal thing, it looked like aluminum, one side had part of a letter on it and some blue and yellow paint. This metal thing that had melted was an old license plate on a "car". The car had melted and was unrecognizable. I taped the metal to the side of Rescue 1, and did the same to the other cars. Then we got back in and drove farther into the ruins.

After reaching the piers that existed we looked for a boat. The Verrazano bridge had been bombed in a attempt at quarentine. The lights from a CDC APC shined over. The gun rotated at the city. There was a bearcat next to it and behind them one of those riot control things the Germans have. Like those water cannon trucks.

We found 2 boats, 1 was sunk into the water with a crashed helicopter on her bow and the other was a large military transport vessel with a few zombies shambling around. The metal pier had melted and we had to make a redneck contraption to cross without destroying the front of our vehicles. Once that was done we prepared to enter the ship.

We boarded it and the zombies ran at us. They must have mutated into some L4D zombies, good news is only a few did that so there are multiple strains of this thing, or it could be a mutation based on the genes, or just they retained a skill from before this. The runners had gaps in their skin and it was barely held on. We shot one and the skin ripped apart around the hole and peeled away for a few inches. A white skull remained and then it hit me. These were the early stages of those pack zombies.

We went from deck to deck on the boat killing about 50 zombies before reaching the to deck. There was an abandoned research station with a yellow corpse. The skin bubbled and veins showed. The body wore a lab coat that stretched tightly onto it. David pointed out a thing  he remembered: dead bodies have fluids that build up inside of them. The body was filled with fluids that would be disgusting. On kid walked over and was grabbed by the body. It yanked him down and bit his face off. The kid screamed as his neck was ripped open and he began throwing up blood from his neck. His head leaned to the side because the entire left portion had nothing connecting it to the torso. The jaw stretched down and split and he turned.

The kid looked at us and ran only to be shot, his gun slung across his chest. The fat zombie was shot and a yellow liquid shot out, the liquid pooled around it and more oozed out. The bad smell was everywhere and the blood was barely visible. This zombie had managed to bandage and use a tourniquet. The result was it began to decay and instead of having the embalming fluids seep out slowly the pooled inside bloating the body and that was what the yellow fluid was.

We heard a voice yell at us and it was a group of sailors and Marines with a few scientists behind them. They looked at us and asked who we were, and how we survived. We answered and said they had lost the radio room and they heard about the mutations from the survivors with them before they lost the ship. They had held up in the command room and drilled into the mess hall. They agreed to head across the river with us and then they would head out to sea now that they could access the engine room.

We went down the ship and loaded up our trucks, then we entered and went farther down. We got into the engine room and found anothe pocket of sailors and a few survivors huddled around the room. They were hungry and glad that they had access to food now. Apparently these guys had sent some people out and they never returned. So we layer the bodies across the beach and burried them. We returned and set off for Staten Island, the final burrow for us to pass through before we would head west.