Chapter Thirty Five

She couldn't be there a second longer. The world was crumbling under her feet and the look on Sawyer's face was too much. It was guilt combined with pity mixed with something she couldn't quite pinpoint. She cupped a hand over her mouth and leaned into Devin. “Can you and Rachel take care of Sadie, please? I have to go.”

Devin didn't even question it, instead giving her affectionate nod. “Go,” she said, “oh and Alexa?”

“What?”

“Don't run far enough away that he can't find follow.”

Sound advice maybe but it fell on deaf ears because Alexa ran. She took off across the grass and behind the stage toward her brick and mortar second home. She nearly ran over a girl with purple dreadlocks, not the type who Alexa would peg as a typical Bach's Revenge fan.

“Watch it!” the girl said.

Her legs pushed and pushed, propelling her forward until they felt as if they were going to ignite. As she rounded the building to the parking lot, her eyes settled on Gabby who was surrounded by reporters. She was talking about Paper Planes and their mission and the important growth they hoped for in the future.

Alexa came skidding to a halt her breath ragged. She had a stitch in her side and put her hand there and grimaced.

“Here she is now,” Gabby said. “My niece, Alexa Montgomery.”

“How do you know Bach's Revenge?” one of the reporters queried.

“Did you organize the fundraiser?” asked another.

“I-I-I.” There was nowhere near enough oxygen getting into her lungs. They were tight and pulling a threatening to explode.

Bennett's voice cut in and Alexa was sure no pson was ever so grateful to hear the voice of another as she was in that moment. “Ladies and gentleman of the press, you can direct your questions here. Did you hear that Bach's Revenge is set to start their world tour?” And just like that – it was as if she never existed.

She spun to leave but Gabby was in front of her, blocking her way. The smile that stretched across her face was massive. Her eyes grew wide, “wow,” she exclaimed, “this is something else, isn't it?” For a shrink, Gabby was certainly not mindful to the situation at hand. Wasn't she supposed to be an expert at reading people?

Alexa simply nodded. “Auntie, I gotta go."

Gabby stepped back. “I beg your pardon?”

“I have to go,” Alexa repeated. “Please move out of the way.”

Gabby crossed her arms over her chest, her stance suddenly defensive. “The show isn't even over yet,” she said. “Where are you off to in such a rush? What's wrong, Alexa?”

Alexa looked away, fearing her face gave away the truth about Sawyer and how suddenly he was the only thing in the world that mattered. “Please Auntie,” she pleaded. “I just want to go home.”

“Are you alright? Where's Rachel?”

“Please not the twenty questions. Not right now. I just-- I need to go.”

Gabby examined her face and stepped to the side so Alexa could continue to run.

The last time Sawyer felt so helpless he was just a small kid cowering in a corner waiting for it all to end. He watched on in horror as Alexa said something to her friends seconds before leaping to her feet and taking off down the stairs. God damn it! Instinct begged him to follow but his loyalty to the band and to the fans stopped him. They hadn't finished the show. He couldn't leave.