Chapter Twenty Four

Copyright 2012 

All work is property of Leah Crichton, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of the work without explicit permission by the author is illegal.

Rachel drooled as she slept. No doubt a quality Robbie must have found super charming. Alexa had stayed out late the night before thinking about how things could have gotten so much worse at the deli. She'd been stupid to try to take Sadie and Lindy out but at the time, it seemed like a good idea. Rachel was already forming a small river at the mouth by the time Alexa got home and the two hadn't spoken yet about Rachel's willingness to hand over her body to a virtual stranger.  

There was a pot of gold at the end of the rocky rainbow though; Sadie's behavior around Sebastian. His presence neutralized her psychosis and Alexa desperately wanted to ask her aunt how that was even possible...but to do so would risk being found out. Aunt Gabby would be steaming from the ears if she knew about their little day trip.  

After Sawyer had left to find Lane, Alexa spent a few minutes observing Sadie and Sebastian from a distance. It was no wonder the band was so popular. Sebastian was flirtatious just enough to make Sadie feel special. How Charlie dealt with it all the time was beyond Alexa's understanding. If that were Sawyer, it would fuel insecurities Alexa was not confident she could deal with.  

She gazed at her reflection in the mirror. The red color of her hair looked freakishly unnatural in the daylight, especially with no makeup. She couldn't wait for it to wash out. Rachel stirred, groaned, then opened her eyes.  

"You still look crazy beautiful, if that's what you're checking for," she said.  

Alexa turned. "No. I was hoping it'd be gone."  

Rachel stretched her arms high about her head. "Why? You're the girlfriend of a fine piece of man, you should at least try to look as hot as he does."  

"Sawyer likes me just the way I am-er-was," she corrected.  

"I'll buy it but it was nice to see you come out of your shell."  

"Speaking of coming out of shells, don't you think sleeping with Robbie was a bit much?"  

Rachel's eyebrows pinched together and her mouth dropped. "Why are you so convinced I slept with him?"  

"You were half naked," Alexa said. "It's a pretty safe assumption."  

Rachel sat up in bed, thankfully wearing more clothes than the last time Alexa had seen her wake up. "Excuse me but just because you think you saw something, doesn't make it true."  

Alexa leaned on her desk and crossed her arms over her chest. "So you didn't sleep with him? 'Cause it sure looked that way."  

"It's not your business," Rachel said, "but since you're being such a cow about it, no, I did not sleep with Robbie."  

"Care to explain why you were half dressed?"  

Rachel shrugged. "I'm not sure if I care to explain anything to you. Why are you being such a prime witch about this? Are you jealous or something?"  

Ha. Jealous. That was laughable. Alexa huffed. "Of you? No."  

Rachel's voice raised an octave or two. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"  

She was about to tell her friend exactly what it meant when there was a knock at the door. "What?" Both she and Rachel spoke at the same time.  

Her blonde hair preceded her through the doorway, but soon after, Devin's smiling face was almost enough to make Alexa forget she was mad. "Hey," Devin said. "You ladies up for an adventure?"