Chapter Twenty Three

© Copyright 2012
All work is property of Leah Crichton, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of the work without explicit permission by the author is illegal.

Alexa observed Lindy in the rear view mirror as Sawyer drove her car. “I'm sorry our girls day didn't really work out,” she said.

“It's alright,” Lindy replied. “The fact that you tried and you got Sadie to leave that stupid room is commendable. Plus I got to meet exactly fifty percent of Bach's Revenge, which, no offense is kind of better than your typical mani-pedi.”

Sawyer didn't offer any response at all, so Alexa placed her hand on his knee. “Hey,” she said softly. “You okay?”

“Just thinkin' about Sadie,” he admitted.

“Most of the posters in her room are of you,” Alexa said. “How did you know she loved Sebastian?”

“'Cause she told me. I've never seen Sadie that normal. She was just like any other fan.”

“Sebastian handled it well,” Alexa noted. As of this moment, Sadie was having the time of her life after Seb himself offered to drive her back to Paper Planes.

“Can she be normal?”

What kind of question was that? “Sawyer,” Alexa said. “Of course she can. Aunt Gabby said she's made progress in the year she's been at Paper Planes. Loads of people affected by schizophrenia live a perfectly fulfilling life with medication and ongoing therapy. They have careers, families and sometimes children. You didn't think Sadie was going to be institutionalized for the rest of her life, did you?”

He didn't respond.

“Did you?”

“Well yeah,” he said. “I did. I guess.”

“Good news then,” she said. “Looks like Sadie is making many positive steps in learning how to cope.”

Sawyer laughed and the sound was beautiful. “I can't believe you called me over her temper tantrum.”

“Hey, when I called it was full out meltdown.”

“She was fine.”

“She is sure fine now.”

“Yeah,” Sawyer said. “I'm lucky to have friends like Seabass.”

Lindy didn't say a word on the way back so naturally, she was eavesdropping but it didn't matter.

Once they arrived, she surprised Alexa by giving her a bear hug. “Thank you so much, Alexa,” she said. “No one ever tries to do anything that nice for us.”

Alexa smiled. “No problem.”

Lindy waved and skipped up the stairs.

“Kid seems pretty happy about having a sandwich and witnessing one of Sadie's episodes,” Sawyer noted.

“Yeah well, I guess they don't get out much.”

“Guess not.”

Sadie and Sebastian pulled up in the empty space next to them. Alexa could hear Sadie even though the windows were closed. She would sing a verse at the top of her lungs and judging from Seb's mouth moving, he was singing verses in between.

He got out and went to the other side of the car, holding the door open for Sadie.

“You alright M and M?” Sawyer shouted.

Sadie beamed. “Yeah,” she said. “Better than ever. Sebastian and I are going for a walk.”

Sawyer nodded. “Alexa?” His voice was quiet.