Chapter 3: Violet

I was always underestimated. Sometimes even by my own brother. The fury hit me like a tidal wave, causing pain in my temples again. It started that infuriating buzz. Ah, that annoying buzz. I was getting more used to the buzz, however, it still made me annoyed. Yesterday, when I told him, Alan just dismissed it like it was nothing. Nothing. I could see in his eyes that he was worried about me, but he didn't want to worry me about it. Where was the logic in that? I hated being the younger sibling. I was always lesser and I couldn't understand things. Alan didn't know how good I was at observing things.

I didn't know how I knew, but I knew that the buzz was something important. It happened throughout the entire day but it stopped when I went to sleep. But today it was even louder. All through breakfast (which consisted of scavenged food scraps), my head buzzed to the extent that it was irritating. Alan gave me a few questioning looks but I ignored him. I still thought that there was something that he wasn't telling me. Well, whatever. I'd find out soon enough.

"Hey, Alan?" I asked.

My brother turned around to face me. "Yes?"

"Have you been getting weird dreams lately?" I wanted to ask him, remembering the strange dream that I had last night. I couldn't remember too clearly, but I turned into some kind of alien with superpowers.

Alan replied, "No, I haven't had any weird dreams in the past week. Why? Have you?"

I nodded. "I have." A sharp ringing suddenly cut through my ears. I put my hands to my ears as it got louder. "Shoot, the buzz is getting louder!" Alan came to my side, his arm wrapped around my waist.

The buzz was so loud. It was drowning out all of my other senses, making my eyes tear up. Everything was going blurry, my mind going out of control. I was shaking so badly. What was this?

Then I heard something above the constant buzz. It was a voice that was barely audible, yet I could hear it. Alan's voice. I listened harder.

"Should I have told Violet about my weird dream? I really didn't want to worry her. She's still so young....and she probably wouldn't understand. I bet that she wouldn't understand what I meant. Violet already had to deal with her headaches, so why should I worry her?"

By the second, I was getting angrier. Did I always have to be underestimated by everyone? Why couldn't anyone see my capabilities? "Alan, stop!" I cried. I didn't want to hear it anymore. Being underestimated, again? I was done! Sick of it.

Alan looked at me, confusion and hurt showing on his face. "What did I do?"

I rounded on him and almost screamed into his face. "What did you do? You lied to me!"

My brother's face paled and he took a step back. "W-what?" He stammered. "I didn't lie to you!"

"You did!" I yelled at him. "You just said that you did have a weird dream. And you didn't tell me because you thought I wouldn't understand!"

"I didn't say that." Alan looked confused, but at the same time guilty. He muttered sheepishly, "I didn't say that. But that's what I was thinking." He looked up at me, the pieces of the puzzle slowly coming together in his mind. "How did you know what I was thinking?"

"I....don't know. I just heard your voice, as if you spoke your thoughts."

Alan's eyes widened. "Does that mean you just read my mind?"

It never occurred to me that this was mind-reading. It wasn't really like mind reading though. I could just.....hear his voice as if he were speaking to me.

"Okay, try it again. See if you can do it again." Alan rolled back his shoulders, his face set. "I'm ready."

I listened for the buzz in my mind again. It didn't come. Disappointed, I shook my head. Alan's expression was a mix of relief and maybe a bit of disappointment.

But then the buzz cut back into my thoughts again. I'm glad that Violet can't read my mind. At least I can still have a bit of privacy. And I don't want her to know how much I worry about her.

"Oh god," I whispered. "I read your mind again."

Alan looked back at me, looking stunned. "Really? What was I thinking just then?"

"You were momentarily glad that I couldn't mind read. And you didn't want me to know how much you worried about me." I frowned. "You know you can tell me, right? I'm not your baby sister anymore. I'm twelve already, for god's sake. I'm more mature than you think." I sent my brother an evil glare.

His face dropped, guilt staining his expression. "I'm sorry, Violet. You'll just have to give me a moment." Alan walked out of our hideout, standing at the tree outside for a long minute.

Alan came back inside. He didn't seem as happy about my new skill as I did. I could see it in his posture and his conflicted expression. "Violet, I want to be happy for you. But do you know what this means? You can read my mind and you'll know what I'm thinking. It's...an invasion of my privacy."

I looked down. I understood what he meant. If Alan had gotten some kind of mind reading powers, then I wouldn't really want him to know what I was thinking.

"Okay, I'll try to keep out of your mind," I promised. Even if I did occasionally take a peek at his mind, I would at least give him the comfort of thinking honestly. He didn't seem to doubt my lie, so I was safe for now.