Chapter 21: Violet

My mouth was wide open with shock. "L-Leader?" I bowed reverently. "Leader, sir."

"Good morning, Violet. I think you recognise me. Is it the broadcasts?"

I nodded quickly. Before seeing him and his Officials at the containment centre, I had heard many broadcasts from him. Back when we had a house and a Screen, of course. I could recognise his deep voice anywhere, but never had he looked so majestic. Standing before me was the Leader of the Country, wearing a thick black coat adorned with gold badges.

I had two choices: ask him my questions, or keep my mouth shut. How could I choose the latter when I was bursting to find out everything? "What happened to me?"

"After you were captured, we've had to take some precautions. Don't worry, it's just a minor surgery. Everyone who comes here gets it." 

I didn't believe him, but I let the topic rest for now. I tapped the spot on my temple to activate my powers, for a lack of a better word. 

All that filled my head was silence. 

If the Leader saw the confusion on my face, he didn't show it. How was he so good at hiding emotions and blocking me? I'd have to find out. 

He sat down at the desk opposite my bed. "You are special, Violet." I sat up straighter, leaning forward. "You know that, don't you?"

Only then did I remember that it was the Government who took away my parents. I recoiled in horror. Here I was, talking to the Leader of the Government. All this time, it had sunk into the back of my mind.

"What's the matter?"

"What did you do to my parents?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. Otherwise, I would burst with rage.

"We saved your parents. They were the target of criminals after a scandal from their Work. They never told you?"

I raised an eyebrow in disbelief. "You expect me to believe that?"

"Yes? It's the truth, and the truth is what you want."

"And where are my parents now?"

"I honestly don't know. My team dealt with them, not me. But I do know that we saved them from the criminals."

I sighed. Even after talking to the Leader himself, I still didn't know anything new about my parents.

"Anyway, I came here to talk about you, not your parents. It was you and your brother who was spotted at the community centre, am I right?"

I tried to hide my surprise but I was too late. I was good, but the Leader was better.

"And so it was," he added, thoughtfully. "You seem more powerful than your brother, even though people think it's the other way round."

He was right. How did he know? I nodded slightly.

"So why did you kill Chief Petrov?"

"How did you know that it was us?" I returned.

"Don't be difficult, Violet. You look just like how the witness described." My eyes widened. There was a witness? We hadn't been careful enough.

"So answer my question. Why did you kill him?"

My mind rushed to think of answers. "Self-defence. He was going to kill us."

"Ah, I see."

I couldn't read his expression. It was very dangerous for me to be talking to the Leader, now that he knew the crime I had committed. He was a powerful man. With a simple command, he could put me in prison for the rest of my life. The crime punishments were so severe, especially for adolescents because the world's low-crime rankings were so important. Apparently being near the top would be good for us during this war.

"Are you going to put me in prison?" I managed to spit out the sentence that I had been thinking.

"No, of course not. You know, I've been watching you. You come to the containment centre near the border most nights, don't you?"

I sucked in a deep breath. There'd be no secrets with the Leader, ever. "Yes."

"What is your ambition? Life goal?"

"To get a stable job and find a Partner." A practiced line from School. Everyone wanted to get a stable job and find a Partner.

"Don't lie to my face. Both of us know that's not true," he chuckled.

I smiled, looking him in the eye. "To be the best version of myself I can be. A role model to others, someone that people fear and look up to. Someone powerful..."

He tapped his finger against the desk. "You know, you remind me of myself when I was your age. Talented, ambitious, but without training."

I tried not to be offended and smiled politely.

"The only difference is that you will be better. I had no one to guide me as I was growing up... but you have me."

"Why do you want to help me, though? There must be something in it for you."

"You have the potential to be something big one day. Maybe even lead this Country. I've watched many children over the years and believe me when I say that you are different."

"Why was I brought here?"

"Firstly, you are a criminal whose face has been broadcast onto many Screens in the Country. After Chief Petrov's body was discovered, they announced the crime to the Citizens. Don't you think that people would be able to recognise you? You and your brother are wanted and the people think that there's a 100k money prize for them. It's much safer for you to be here."

"Wow, okay."

"Secondly, it's about time I got your help. You know the Virus, right? You're from the West Quarter but there was an announcement in the market square."

The Leader continued. "We need to find a cure. This Virus is a huge disadvantage to us during this war and you know how important it is to us that we win it, right? We need the power."

I nodded, understanding what he meant.

"I believe that you are the key to finding the cure, and you would definitely be useful. You'd be working alongside brilliant minds, how would you like that?"

"That sounds good." How my life had changed in a week. "Oh, yes. I'm interested to know more about the Virus and the war. Could you tell me about it?" I hoped I wasn't going too far.

A dark shadow moved across the Leader's face, but it passed so quickly that I wasn't sure if I had imagined it. I still couldn't hear what he was thinking. "That will be for another day. Today, I will introduce you to my team. Come."

I pointed my chin at my restraints; I couldn't move. He only seemed to realise at that moment that I was tied down. "Who tied you up?" He strode over angrily, using his fingerprint to unlock the ties.

"The Guard," I replied. "The one with a phoenix tattoo, I think."

"I assure you, they will be fired."

I rubbed my arms gingerly and walked out of the room, following the Leader.