Chapter 16: Violet

The dark streets of the West Quarter were so creepy. I had never done anything so naughty before, and it was crazy of me to attempt such a thing. Oh, other than killing a man.

I was still shocked about killing him. I didn't mean to - I only wanted to momentarily stun him. I guess Alan didn't understand. 

I pulled my thin jacket on, hugging my arms to my chest. It was cold and I wasn't used to it. The light rain started to fall and I squinted in the darkness. I was breaking curfew. If Alan saw me now, he'd be extremely disappointed.

When I told Alan about what the family said at the Community Centre, I'd kept some things to myself. The family had also spoken of a curfew, which was a rule that said that you had to stay at home between 9pm to 7am. This information had been sent in a letter to each household.

I had wondered why my brother and I hadn't been told about it, and the family told me that some people had lost their mail too. It made me think of sabotage. What kind of person would do such a thing?

Remembering the the previous day's somewhat traumatic events, I felt subdued. I was really hoping that we would find out something new, and I could tell that Alan wanted to find out something, too. Instead, we had found out that there was a crazy guy on the loose, and I helped kill a man. I crossed my fingers, hoping that no one knew it was us. 

I kept walking, keeping my pace up. My shoes squelched into the muddy ground. The rain was heavier now, but I didn't stop. The containment centre approached me in the distance. The squeals of the Guards' wrist speakers echoed in the quiet night. I neared a van dock, which had multiple black vans parked after another. I crept behind a van as I watched Guards carry Virus tanks to their fellow Officers. They moved in such an orderly fashion that it was mind-blowing. One tank after another. Endlessly filling the containment centre up. How did they do it so perfectly?

I flinched when I heard a whistle blow. I turned in the direction of the noise and immediately recognised who it was. It was the Leader that I had seen, the other day. This time, he wore a slightly different uniform, a purple robe. It was adorned with silver ornaments and medals that displayed his high Official rank. I wondered what it took to get there.

I simply stood behind the van, watching. Even though I wasn't familiar with the organisation of these Officials, I could sense the Leader's authority. He didn't say anything, yet the Guards occasionally glanced over at him nervously. It was as if he could snap at them anytime, so they had to be careful and precise with their movements.

About ten minutes later, the Leader got a ping from his Messenger. I watched his expression curiously as he checked his message. His expression was a mixture of anger and disappointment. He yelled over at the Guards to hurry up. "We need to go in twenty minutes!" The Leader barked out an order.

A commotion from behind the containment centre made me turn my head sharply. I groaned inwardly as a sharp pain shot through my neck. Argh, I shouldn't have done that.

I heard loud voices. My heart skipped a beat as I heard my brother's voice. "Don't you fricking dare," he said.

I almost screamed when I saw my brother. My hand covered my mouth just in time and I wasn't discovered.

But what shocked me was my brother's state. His right eye was badly bruised and his arms were covered in bleeding scratches. His legs were covered in mud, presumably from being dragged. Two menacing Guards gripped his arms tightly on either sides, threatening him with a gun against his head. I wanted to jump up and save my brother, but I held myself back. It wouldn't do to get both of us captured, would it? 

The Guard shoved him over to the Leader. "Look what we found 'ere," he growled. "A stinkin' boy spying on us. I'd bet that he's one of the Rebels. Might even be one we're looking for."

Rebels? I wondered who they were. I filed it away in my mind to think about later. I winced at the pain in my neck. Wrong time, I told it. As if my neck would ever listen to me.

The Leader snarled. "Another spy? Why don't you just kill him?" My eyes widened at that statement and I almost left my hiding spot. Almost.

"Wait," one of the Guards said. He seemed slightly reluctant to kill a boy. Good for him. "Why don't we interrogate him? He might have some important information. He's a goddamn spy."

The Leader sighed. "Alright," he allowed. "Report to me what you find out from him."

The two Guards saluted and dragged Alan towards a van. I stepped forward. "Wait! Don't take him! I made him do it!" I yelled. Dammit, this was a terrible idea. I slapped myself hard.

The Guards and the Leader turned to face me. "What are you doing here, little young lady?" He strode towards me, his purple robes swaying.

A wave of dizziness washed over me. I stumbled and I just managed to grab onto the side of the van. No, now is not the time. Stop. But the dizziness didn't fade.

Alan groaned. "R-run....sis." He tried to lift his arm.

The Leader gasped theatrically. "She's your sister? Well, well. Looks like we've got a cute little family here."

I clutched my stomach, nausea gripping me. "Stop."

"No, I'm afraid not," the Leader replied. "We're not going to let you go. Guards!"

The Guards surged forward, their stun guns up. No. They're going to get me.

"No!" Alan screamed, his voice echoing.

There was a burst of white light. Then everything went dark.