Chapter 24: Violet

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

He thought I thanked him for accompanying me, but it was for being so useful. He'd given me a lot of information and seemed to be much nicer than any of the other staff members. This Guard would definitely be an advantage on my side.

Even though I'd been treated with such great hospitality so far, I knew better than to put too much trust in people.

I flopped down onto my huge king-sized bed, still reeling from the newness of it all. Firstly, the floor-to-ceiling windows presented me with an incredible view of the Upper Quarter from 173 levels up. We were surrounded by skyscrapers covered with neon boards and giant Screens. Speed trains zoomed past on levitating tracks, another magnetic feat achieved a few years ago. In the Upper Quarter, there didn't seem to be any evidence that the Great Destruction even happened. It was when our parents were children - the late 21st century. After thirty-odd years of regeneration, this part of the Country was more advanced than before. America was high on the tech rankings anyway, but I'd wager that they'd never stepped foot into the West Quarter.

And even if I didn't like the amazing view, I could simply change the scenery by asking my room assistant Ionia. The Guard showed me when we came into the room. "Ionia, change the scenery."

"What would you like the scenery to be?"

Damn, unlimited choice? "Show me how the world looked before the Great Destruction."

"Scenery changed."

It looked as if the view of the Upper Quarter morphed into a scene from an Old Age documentary. I was surrounded by a residential area with brick houses and gardens. Were those... trees? I sat up, fascinated by the sight of real, growing plants. These days, real plants were a wonder. After all the damage the Earth went through, you'd expect to never see plants that weren't synthetic.

"Ionia, reset to clear windows."

"Windows reset."

I looked around my room. No, my level. My level. Most staff didn't get their own level, so it was definitely a reason for them to be jealous of me.

Actually, now was a good time to check out my Messenger. I'd been given the morning to myself and I had a session with the Leader himself in the afternoon. I picked up the Messenger from my bedside table. It lit up and repeated the message from earlier, complete with the female holo avatar. "Hello, Violet! Welcome to the Institute of Virology centre, Section 3!"

I tapped on the screen, amazed at how the home screen looked so much better than the old Messenger that we had. Then it reminded me of Freddy. Oh, Freddy! I'd have to contact him and find him soon.

The Messenger home screen had three things only - a folder with a bunch of files, a messaging platform and an app to manage my level, such as the lighting and Ionia's settings. Interesting.

I clicked on the folder, which was labelled '08: Violet'. True to the Guard's word, there was a file about security clearance levels. A welcome message popped onto the screen, signed by the Leader.

Welcome to the Institute of Virology residential floor number 173, Violet. We hope you enjoy your stay here. If you have any questions, please ask a staff member.

As I mentioned previously, we need your help to find a cure for the Virus. You will have meals brought to your room three times a day. You are expected to cooperate with the Nurses and Scientists whenever you are asked to do something.

I will see you for a morning session tomorrow - meet me on level 87. Check your map if you have to.

Remember, optima vindicta ingens est. That's our motto.