Chapter 11: Violet

Should I have told Alan about the piece of paper? It seemed overdramatic of me to even think it was real. And if it were real, then so what? Nothing changed. The Government had so much power anyway, that it was hard to believe that anything had changed. The citizens of the West Quarter knew that someone was always watching.

But...what if it was real? What if we were being tracked and watched by bad guys? I was so used to watching other people, but I didn't like it when they watched me. It was like I was weak enough to be watched, which I definitely shouldn't be. It was a sign of weakness for me. I hated it and hoped that it wasn't true.

I pushed all of these conflicting thoughts away from my mind and just focused on the present. I needn't worry myself about something like that.

I observed people once again as I walked down the streets. It was some kind of hobby I had - I just liked to collect information from people. It was fun, and it challenged my brain. It was cool in my opinion that I could observe people without them realising. For example, I could tell that the man across the street was hungry. He wasn't showing it much, but I could see the way that he was hunched over, the way his skin was turning pale. I could see that he was embarrassed to show it, yet he couldn't help it. I felt sorry for him, but I couldn't do anything about it. I was poor as well and didn't have power in this world. Not yet, at least.

Maggie was perched on a high branch, on a tree near the river. I waved over to her and she sent out a harsh call. She ruffled her black feathers and flew off to her nest.

I turned around, walking back to our hideout. People walked past me, fiddling with their own masks. The truth was that the masks made it a bit harder to breathe. It was expected, but it affected people more than they thought. Since I'd been exercising regularly, it didn't impact me as much. I had a higher fitness level than before, so I could walk with some ease.

These days, people seemed in a rush. They were scared of the Virus as if it were a physical being, able to jump out at them like a ghost. Anyone that coughed or sneezed was avoided. I saw parents hurrying home with their children as if they would get caught by the Guards any moment.

Watching them made my heart ache. I missed my parents so badly...and I'd never see them again. I looked back at the family. The memory of my parents being taken away flashed in front of my eyes, and I stumbled. Screams rang in my ears and stars appeared in my vision. A man caught my arm as I tripped on the concrete paving. "Are you all right, Miss?"

My black hair flipped over my face and I slowly met the man's eyes. He squealed with fright and let go of my hand, tripping over his feet in a haste to get away from me. Oops, did I look at him too intensely? I clutched my head, wondering how many of these memory flashbacks it would take to kill me.

The temporary dizziness had faded and all that was left was my flashback. I jogged back to the hideout, wanting the comfort of my own home. I didn't feel safe.

When I arrived back, Alan was holding the piece of paper that I'd found. He'd found it too.

"Violet, I've just found this," he said. "Look, it's a mysterious note. I-I don't think it's real though." He brandished a small piece of paper. "It must be a prank," he said uncertainly.

"Where'd you find it?" I asked, walking over to see the note. Although I knew what the note said, I'd have to pretend that I didn't see it before. It would save me a lot of explaining and I definitely wasn't going to tell him that I'd kept that secret from him.

"It was inside the box that we were given, under the masks," my brother replied.

I looked at the note as if I'd never seen it before, my eyes wide. "Oh wow," I said. "That's pretty creepy. I hope it's not real." I tried to act like a scared little kid, scrunching my face up in fear. It seemed to work, because Alan became very brotherly.

"Don't worry, Violet. It's probably someone playing a joke on us."

"Okay," I replied sweetly. "Hugs?" I held my arms out. We hugged each other, and I felt Alan relax, stroking my hair. Good. He'd never suspect a thing.

I couldn't help but feel like I had committed another sin. I had lied again and gotten away with it. Oh, well. I'd have to get used to it, wouldn't I?

Behind Alan's back, I allowed myself a little devilish grin.