Chapter 1

I think that everyone has a moment. One that they can pinpoint at the end of their life as having changed everything. The way they think, the way they feel, the way they perceive the world. Whether it be splendid or tragic, fulfilling or confusing, it creates a shift inside them and changes who they are. For me, that moment was when I met him. Meeting his eyes for the first time made me feel flushed. Hearing his voice for the first time made me feel enchanted. Kissing him for the first time, however quick and simple it was, made me feel as if I was finally where I was supposed to be. As fortunate as my life has been, I think the greatest gifts that have ever been given to me were the ones he gave to me. He gave me love. He gave me clarity. He gave me some of the happiest moments in my life. He was like an ice-cold drink of all the things that my soul thirsted for. The way that I felt when I was with him, it was what poets and philosophers spend their lifetimes trying to put into words, but the truth is, you can only truly understand once you are fully immersed in it. Meeting him changed everything. Once I did I began to discover the wonders of life. The truly valuable things. One after another they came. Like a gold rush. And even once the gold rush comes to an end, the fruits of its existence live on forever, manifesting themselves into new ways every day.

"And then I met you, and slowly but all at once my whole world began to change."

-R.M. Broderick

I run through the lobby of the crowded Goldman Sachs building with a tray of hot coffee in my hands. I quickly shuffle through the crowds, being sure not to spill the scalding liquid on me, trying to catch the nearly closed elevator door.

"Can you hold that?" I yell to the singular man standing inside, knowing I wouldn't be able to catch another for a few minutes.

I see him reach over and press a button, surely doing as I asked. However, to my amazement, the doors start closing faster rather than remaining open.

I am shocked and begin running even faster but much to my dismay, the doors close right when I get there, the man looking unbothered.

I quickly press the up button repetitively, hoping by some chance the doors will re-open, and luckily they do, with the insolent man staring at his phone in bitter distaste.

I walk in and see my floor already pressed.

"Looks like we're going to the same place," I mumble.

"Lucky me," he replies sarcastically.

I decide not to respond to this and try to just mind my own business until he says, "can you stop tapping your foot, it's quite annoying."

I hadn't even realized I was doing that, it's always been a habit of mine.

"What's your problem?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes as he looks forward at the closed doors, his height creating an overwhelming distance.

"I'm late and you're making me later," he says matter of factly.

I immediately notice his British accent, which seems to make his rude behavior slightly more charming.

"It's not my fault you're late for your meeting," I say in a chippier tone than his.

"Not that it's your business, but it's an interview" he replies, still staring at the doors.

"Oh, yeah? With who?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Well I know everyone in the office and maybe I can help you since you think I'm the one who made you late."

He turns to me when I say this, finally locking his emerald eyes with my icy blue ones. His gaze sends all the blood to my cheeks as I finally notice his chiseled jaw and entrancing features. His demeanor seems to soften and he answers my question, "David Solomon, the CEO."