9. Damn

Hey, guys! How have you been?
I'm sorry for taking so long to update, I've started college this year and I'm trying to focus on my studies. But don't worry, you'll still get new chapters!
I wanted to thank the people who asked me if I was okay, I am! And I'm touched by your concern 🥺

Anyway, back to Evansson!

Chapter 9: Damn

Chris went to restart the music and set it on a loop. The music would now keep on playing every time it ended. He slowly retrieved his former position near her. He looked down at his feet as he waited for the song to begin again. “You okay?” He heard her ask him in a soft voice. He finally met her eyes and nodded slightly. One of his hands grabbed one of hers as the other slid up to her waist. 

The dance sequence they rehearsed was to be set just before the climax of the movie. Scarlett and Chris would be doing the routine for a formal business party of his character's work. This scene was to be a key moment in their characters' relationship, so it had to be perfect. 

As the movie started, we quickly discovered that Annie married her sweetheart from the first movie (and book), Hayden (aka Harvard Hottie). In one of the first scenes, the couple was moving back into the US from England and had bought a cute house that they would renovate themselves. Everything in their lives seemed to be perfect; good jobs, a house with a dog and friends. Their lives were going as they were supposed to until the moment a drunk 16-year-old Grayson barged into her house in the middle of the night. The little boy Annie used to babysit was now full of bitterness towards his former nanny, he couldn’t seem to understand why she left so abruptly all those years ago.

Scarlett’s character then tries to help Grayson to understand what has happened and she finds herself mixed in his life between his divorced parents. The events make Annie realize she might never have kids. Not because she couldn't, but because she wasn't sure she wanted to have kids. Which totally went against Hayden's plans of starting a family, something he seemed to be wanting more and more as the days passed.

The dance sequence would be the moment where their characters talk about their problem and where they come up with a solution that could satisfy both. Chris strangely felt connected to his character’s feelings. He had always wanted to have kids but the relationships he had been in led to nothing. Now, at 39 years old, he was still childless and nowhere close to being married. He secretly thanked his lucky star that he was a man and did not have to worry about his biological clock. 

"Ready?" Scarlett spoke up, catching Chris' attention.

“Hm?” He briefly questioned as he was pulled away from his thoughts. “Yeah, I think Iam.”

“Remember, just look at me. Focus on my eyes and nothing else. I know you can do it.” She had an encouraging smile on her face, telling him he had the capacity of doing it. He couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped past his lips. “What? You don’t think you’re capable of dancing? Do you want me to call Downey and tell him to give you lessons?”

This time Chris laughed out loud. “No, no. He’ll just make fun of me the entire time.” He pleaded while still laughing. “It’s just, you know, we didn’t get any proper rehearsal for this.”

“You had no problem dancing with Hayley, I don’t see why you’d have trouble dancing with me.” She pointed out, looking up at him and shaking her head a little bit.

“Is this jealousy I hear?” He teasingly asked, a small smirk playing at the corner of his lips.

Scarlett scoffed and pulled herself away from him to wrap her arms across her chest. “Please, I’ve kissed you more than she has.” She momentarily paused, watching him chuckle at her words. “Come to think of it, maybe she and I should make a movie. We’d be powerful, wouldn’t we?”

“I’m sure you would.”

“Anyway,” She grabbed his shoulders and got him looking down into her eyes. “Come on, Chris. You can fucking sprint like a panther and hold onto a helicopter but you can’t dance for what, 5 minutes?”

He chuckled, turning his head away from her and looking out the window. He didn’t know why this was so complicated for him to do. He liked dancing. Maybe not this type of dance to this type of music. Maybe it was because he didn’t want to mess up the scene by looking too focused on the dancing or maybe because the storyline hit too close to home.

“Chris? Are you still there?” She asked, snapping her fingers in front of his face. He hadn’t replied to her and from where she stood, he was creepingly silent, watching out the window. “Is everything alright?” 

Chris nodded as he turned to look at her. “Yeah. Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts.”

“Are you ready?” She asked and he gave her a soft smile that told her that he was. She nodded and grabbed his hands. "And 1, 2, 3…" She began chanting in a quiet voice and looked up into his eyes.

The two friends began dancing together as their eyes were locked in each other's gaze. Chris quickly stopped thinking about doing the right steps and set all of his attention on Scarlett and her eyes. He was enchanted by her eyes. He couldn't look away, hell he didn't want to. She was - unknowingly or not - pulling him in this magical daze he couldn’t escape from. His body was moving on its own as his mind stopped overthinking.

Together, they swirled and twirled around in the small space they had created. The world around them became void and non-existent as they dived deeper into the song. It was just them, their bodies, their eyes. Chris pulled her body away from his and spun her before tugging her back to him. As he did so, her body came crashing into his and something pushed Chris into smashing his lips onto hers.

The moment she felt his lips on hers, her heart skipped a beat as a small gasp tried to make itself heard. Somehow, time stopped when their lips met each other’s and they stopped dancing. Chris was only able to focus on how soft she felt against his mouth. He was in a trance, addicted to her kisses. 

Scarlett’s hands came up in his hair, cupping the back of his head to hold him as close to her as she could. There was raw emotion in the way her fingers curled into his hair, his soft breath was inviting and she couldn’t stop kissing him. She wouldn’t stop. 

She felt the tip of his tongue ask the entrance to her mouth and in a heartbeat she parted her lips, welcoming him in. It felt like a wave of warmth had invaded her mouth, her toes curled in her socks and all of her senses completely disappeared. The taste of him was engulfing every single thought she could have, she was losing herself in his kiss but she didn’t mind. Not with the way he made her feel.

Soft moans escaped the back of her throat as his lips became hungrier for her, more demanding. Their bodies moved on their own as Scarlett’s back was suddenly pressed against the wall. Chris’ hands wrapped themselves around her hips as her body began tingling all over. 

Before Scarlett could react, Chris pulled her up and she automatically wrapped her legs around him. He tore his lips away from hers, the need to breath stronger than the need to kiss her. They both equally panted, trying to regain their breath. The kiss had been intense, fulfilling and amazing. 

Chris looked into her eyes and saw them widened out. Scarlett's brain finally caught up to what she has been doing with Chris and how far she would've let him go if they hadn't paused. Her mind froze before starting to freak out. 

The blonde actress somehow managed to untangle herself from his body. "Scarlett—" Chris called out, watching her as she removed herself from his body. She bore him no reply, no look, nothing. She just walked to the bathroom and slammed the door behind her. Chris sighed, he set his arm in despair against the length of the wall. "Damn."

The end of the song was then the only thing keeping the silence from setting inside the apartment.

I wish we could be like that, why can't we be like that?

***
*In Alexander Hamilton voice* nobody needs to know...