11. Rumors, kisses and comforting smiles

I know, I know I said I would update more but I haven't been doing nothing. I've outlined the next few chapters and worked on other stories (why did I decide to write so much?)

Anyway, here's your new favorite chapter ;)

Chapter 11: Rumors, kisses and comforting smiles

Chris looked down at Scarlett as he started to lean in closer to her, her face, her lips. A small gasp escaped her lips and his heart skipped a beat.

Because it's time you've come to know how I feel about you.

The words resonated in her mind. What was he saying? They were friends. They had always been good friends. Her heart pounded in her chest at the thought of him, Chris, having feelings for her. Had she been so blind that she never saw it coming?

They were kids when they met. Youngsters even, not knowing where life was going to take them. Was it even possible that down the road, Chris had caught feelings for her? He had never said anything. Sure, he had this insanely soft look in his eyes whenever he looked her but that was nothing. Right?

What if it hadn't been nothing? What if that look was not just a look of appreciation? What if it was a look of lo- No. The idea of him loving her was simply ridiculous. There had been rumors, kisses and comforting smiles but they never was anything close to a relationship.

Their relationship was like Steve and Natasha's – minus the saving the world while looking insanely hot part – they were friends and even tho they kissed, they never stopped looking out for one another. Chris had always been there for her and for her daughter whenever they needed. She could call him in the middle of the night and he'd show up for them. Rose adored him and he adored her.

Through the breakups, the failures, the divorces, the hard times, he was there. By her side. He always offered her help and comfort. He was her rock and up until this very moment she hadn't realized how much he meant to her.

No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stop her eyes from tearing up. Having reached resolution about their relationship and having him up so close in her personal space was overwhelming. With a shaky voice she said. "I'm engaged." The words echoing in her mind. "To another man, Chris."

"I know." He spoke up, not backing down. His deep blue eyes kept on shining that loving light. He was there. He always was. Oh, how blind she had been.

One of her hands shot up to his upper chest, stopping from being any closer than he already was. "I'm in love with him." She whispered, her tongue darting out and wetting her lips. Was she trying to stop him or stop herself?

"I know." He had grabbed her hand and pulled it up to his face before he started kissing the palm of her hand while looking at her. His lips were as soft as Egyptian cotton and as hot as fire. They were lingering longer than they should on her skin, making her melt further against the wall.

"He – he is..." Her distracted mind couldn't form words anymore. Her eyes were glued to his lips and were unable to look away.

"I know." He whispered as he set both of his hands beside her head, his mouth now inches away from her own. She could feel his breath as he slightly parted his lips.

"We can't, Chris." She whispered in a soft pant, her voice weak under the effect he had on her.

"Then stop me."

A gasp escaped her lips and before she could stop herself, she grabbed the back his head and sealed her lips with his in a languorous kiss. The same wave of warmth she longed for engulfed her and she was slowly getting addicted to the way his lips felt on hers.