Chapter 2 - The Letters

Harry and Neville were now ten, almost eleven. They were eating breakfast with their father, (M/N), when a beautiful barn owl flew in clutching two envelopes. (M/N) thanked the owl as he took the envelopes. He smiled as he read the emerald green writing. One was addressed to Mr. H. Riddle while the other was for Mr. N. Riddle. He happily gave his sons their letters from Hogwarts. (M/N) watched as their expressions changed from confusion to excitement as they read their identical letters.

Dear Mr. Riddle,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

The boys were wearing the biggest grins (M/N) had ever seen once they finished reading. "We're going to Hogwarts?!" Neville was the first to speak. His father knew that the young boy had been afraid that he wasn't 'magical enough' to be accepted. "It seems so." Neville looked up to see his dad smiling warmly at him. "When are we gonna get our wands and stuff???" Harry, however, was much more interested in going shopping than attending the actual school itself. (M/N) chuckled, "In a few days, first I'd like to give you both some advice for your school year..." 

(M/N) wrote both of his sons' replies before sending his owl, a great horned owl that always looked tired, to deliver their answers. "Dad?" The male looked down to see both his sons looking at him expectantly. "Yes?" "When will Uncle Reg come back from Bulgaria?" "Don't worry, he'll return before September, I promise." They smiled at their father before going off to play. 

A few days had passed and the family of three were looking around Diagon Alley, when they bumped into another family of three. (M/N) immediately recognized the parents as Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy. "Mr. Riddle." The two bowed their heads in respect. "Lucius. Narcissa. And who's this?" Lucius gently pushed his son forward, as if trying to appease the other male. "This is my son, Draco. He's starting Hogwarts this year." The blond boy bowed his head like he saw his parents do just mere seconds before. "What a coincidence. My sons' are starting Hogwarts this year as well. Harry, Neville, say hi." "Hello." Harry greeted while Neville simply waved. 

The two families parted soon after, both still in the middle of shopping. In no time at all, Harry and Neville had almost everything from their lists. Robes, hats, winter cloaks, dragon hide gloves, parchment, ink (regular and color changing), pewter cauldrons, books, brass scales, collapsible brass telescopes, crystal phials, and basic potion ingredients. All that was left were their wands. However, the two boys really wanted to see the animals, obviously wanting to take a pet with them. In the end, Harry got a green Pit Viper (snake) that he named Salazar and Neville got a beautiful Snowy Owl called Hedwig. Finally, they reached Ollivander's.

Mr. Ollivander bowed as the three males entered his shop, knowing instantly who the oldest was. "Mr. Riddle, a pleasure to see you again. Basilisk fang and Phoenix feather, fourteen point twelve inches, feisty, correct?" "Right, as always." The older man then focused on the two boys, Harry going first. (M/N) sat in a seat with Neville next to him, watching his brother go through wand after wand. Finally, Ollivander handed him another to try. "Holly and Phoenix feather, eleven inches, nice and supple." A stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end, revealing that he had found his wand at last. 

It was Neville's turn now. He cautiously approached the shopkeeper while Harry took his spot next to their father. He also went through quite a few wands, though not as many as Harry. "Here, try this one. Cherry and Unicorn hair, thirteen inches, flexible." As he waved the wand, a trail of snowflakes cascaded from the tip. He smiled as he looked over to his brother and father. (M/N) paid for the wands and the three left for home, his boys positively beaming.