Slytherin Vs Gryffindor

The train slowed right down and finally stopped. People pushed their way toward the door and out onto a tiny, dark platform. Soon, a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students and a loud, booming voice called out, "Firs' years! Firs' years over here!" The three boys saw that the voice belonged to a giant of a man. "C'mon, follow me - any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!" They all followed the man down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. 

The huge male led the pack of first years to the edge of a great black lake, a fleet of little boats waiting for them by the shore. "No more'n four to a boat!" Neville, Harry, and Draco were followed into their boat by the bossy girl from the train. Draco was about to object, but the Riddle brothers simply greeted her, introducing themselves. The blond reluctantly followed suit and gave her his name as well. They found out that her name was Hermione.

Everyone was in the Great Hall, staring at a frayed and extremely dirty wizard's hat on a stool, watching as one by one the first years tried it on to be sorted. "Granger, Hermione!" Hermione almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly onto her head. "GRYFFINDOR!" The hat shouted. She beamed as she made her way to the table on the far left. Draco made a face, but Harry and Neville clapped for her. "Strange, I would've thought she'd be in Ravenclaw." "Well, Dad always said that you never really know which house you'll be in till you're sorted." "True, but still..." The two fell silent as more people were placed into their houses. Malfoy swaggered forward when his name was called, trying to act confident in front of the Riddle brothers. The hat had barely touched his head when it screamed, "SLYTHERIN!" He looked right pleased with himself as he sat at the table towards the right. There weren't many people left now. 

Finally, McGonagall called, "Riddle, Harry!" The hat dropped over his eyes, forcing him to stare into the darkness. "Hmm," a small voice said in his ear. "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent, oh my goodness, yes - and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting... So where shall I put you?" Please Slytherin, please Slytherin. Harry thought desperately, wanting to be in the same house as his father and Uncle Reg. The hat agreed and shouted, "SLYTHERIN!" for the whole school to hear. He grinned as he made his way to the Slytherin table, sitting beside Draco. Looking towards the front, he noticed the teachers for the first time. Professor Dumbledore was staring at him, wearing a very worried expression. Weird...

"Riddle, Neville!" Harry waved and gave his brother a thumbs up as he walked towards the hat. Neville also took a while with the hat. The two argued fiercely, neither backing down. The boy wanted to be in the same house as his family, but the hat was insistent that he be in Gryffindor. Finally, the hat gave up arguing and shouted "GRYFFINDOR!", leaving the boy with no choice. He frowned, but reluctantly obeyed and sat with Hermione at the Gryffindor table. He spent the rest of the Sorting glaring furiously at the bewitched hat. 

There were only four people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," and "Weasley, Ronald," joined Neville at the Gryffindor table. Some girl named "Turbin, Lisa," became the last Ravenclaw. The Sorting ended once "Zabini, Blaise," sat with Harry and Draco at the Slytherin table. Professor McGonagall rolled up her scroll and took the Sorting Hat away. "Sorry about your brother." Draco muttered to Harry. "It's alright, this changes nothing. It doesn't matter what houses we're in, we're still family." The ravenette smiled at the blond. 

Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He was beaming at the students, with his arms opened wide, but his eyes didn't seem to share the same joy as his smile attempted to portray. "Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!" He sat back down as everybody clapped and cheered. Everyone enjoyed the feast, filling up on all the delicious dishes spread before them. 

Harry chatted with Draco and Blaise while Neville talked with Hermione. Well, more like Hermione talked as he ate, but he would nod every now and then to show he was listening. When everyone had eaten as much as they could, the remains of the food faded from the plates, leaving them sparkling clean as before. A moment later the desserts appeared. The students laughed and chatted as they ate far more than what they usually would, filling themselves past their limits. 

At last, the desserts vanished as well, and Professor Dumbledore got to his feet again. The hall fell silent. "Ahem - just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well. His eyes flashed in the direction of two identical redheads at the Gryffindor table. "I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death." Harry and Neville caught each other's eyes, sharing the same thought. What is in the third-floor corridor? "And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!" The other teachers' smiles had become rather fixed. Dumbledore gave his wand a little flick and a long golden ribbon flew out of it, twisting itself into words. "Everyone pick their favorite tune, and off we go!" 

"Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,

Teach us something please,

Whether we be old and bald

Or young with scabby knees,

Our heads could do with filling

With some interesting stuff,

For now they're bare and full of air,

Dead flies and bits of fluff,

So teach us things worth knowing,

Bring back what we forgot,

Just do your best, we'll do the rest,

And learn until our brains all rot."

Everybody finished the song at different times. At last, only the redheaded twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march. Dumbledore conducted their last few lines with his wand and when they had finished, he was one of those who clapped loudest. Finally, it was time for everyone to head to bed. The Gryffindor first years followed one of their Prefects, who had the same red hair as the twins, out of the Great Hall and up the marble staircase. The Slytherin first years followed their own Prefect down towards the dungeons.  And for the first time in their lives, Harry and Neville were separated.