Sweet Vanilla (Wayhaught)

The scent of warm vanilla wafts into the bedroom.

At first she thought she was dreaming it; Nicole dreams of sweets often, much to her wife's endless amusement (Waverly always told her it's one of her most endearing qualities). But sure enough, as Nicole nudged her eyes open and took in another lung-full of the sweet aroma, she knew she was not just imagining it.

Waverly's side of the bed felt empty and cold. Nicole's arm lazily wandered over to her pillow, where the lavender fragrance of her shampoo still lingered. It seems she's been up for some time now, and the ginger knew exactly what she was doing.

She was baking.

Waverly always had been a huge with cooking. She could make a killer vegan lasagna. But she didn't start getting into baking until right before they got married; in fact. As their wedding approached, she grew into a panic, slipping into a highly irrational (yet admittedly, very amusing) fear that Nicole might "come to my senses" eventually and call the whole thing off because she wouldn't be able to make her favorite treacle tarts. Talk about pre-wedding jitters. That's Waverly for you, thinking the entire marital future rested on her heretofore nonexistent kitchen skills.

Nicole padded down the stairs, careful not to wake Wynonna. It's quite early, and she was still sleeping. Typical Wynonna.

There's humming coming from the kitchen, and the ginger round the corner, then stopped just before going in. She leaned against the frame of the kitchen door, which is propped open to let the warm air circulate, and just watched her. Waverly just shoved her new masterpiece into the pre-heated oven. Her hair is a mess, spilling out of a hastily and loosely twisted knot at the nape of her neck, and she's got flour all over her face and apron. Waverly was cleaning along as she worked her magic, of course Calamity Jane was more than happy to help with the clean-up by licking away at anything else that Waverly may have missed.

She's so engrossed in everything that Nicole was sure Waverly didn't see her watching, marveling at the force of nature Nicole married to.

But finally she does look up, as if feeling Nicole's eyes on her; she can always sense when she was near her.

"What are you doing?" she asked, laughing, carelessly rubbing away the flour on her forehead.

Nicole came forward and wiped some flour away from her nose. Unable to resist, Nicole teased, "You've got flour on your nose."

She giggled, that girlish giggle that Nicole's always loved, that somehow never seemed like the inane giggles all the other girls had. Hers is a fuller giggle, one that sends warmth radiating through Nicole's core.

"Now you do, too!"

Waverly took a handful from the flour jar and smears it all over Nicole's face.

"Hey!!" Nicole protested. "What was that for?"

The brunette answers only in more laughter, then raised herself up on her tiptoes and kissed Nicole, wrapping her arms around her neck and drawing her close.

Nicole was still immersed in the tingly afterglow of the kiss, when Waverly leaned her head against Nicole's chest and said softly, "I love you."