8: Truth

.

A potted blue rose swayed as the evening's cold breeze brushed it.

One of its petals went along with the gentle wind as it entered through the open doors of the second floor's balcony, it landed on the grey fur-carpeted floor just next to a black shoe fit for an eight year-old.

In the middle of the room were two red Louis XV armchairs next to a carved wooden table made from ebony. A grand piano could be seen on the far corner, with a framed painting of a red fiery dragon hung behind it.

The only light that fought the darkness was the one given off by the stars peaking from outside.

Lucas was sitting on one of the chairs, staring at the hard cover of the book he had on his lap, 'Law and Sovereign Affairs 8th ed.' it read.

"Oh? You're still awake."

Unsurprised, Lucas turned his head to the door. He knew it was his father.

"It's late. Why aren't you in your room already?" Natsu said as he entered, closing the door behind him.

"I was reading," Lucas answered. He thought his father couldn't sleep either, which was why he was there, "I just finished the book."

Natsu sat on the other chair, resting his back as he sighed unnoticeably, "I see."

Both went quiet after that.

Lucas continued to stare at his book. Natsu was looking straight outside the balcony, more precisely at the pot of rose which Lucy had put there.

"Where is mother?" the boy asked.

"Asleep."

Then it was quiet again, longer this time.

Lucas felt that his father was keeping something from him...from the family. He needed to know what it was and why. Somehow, his gut feeling told him that it had something to do about his mother.

"I know..." Lucas started as he placed the book on the tea table, "I know that you're hiding something from me, father."

Natsu didn't give off a surprised face. He just turned to look at his son who was now staring at him.

"About mother...is she sick?" he continued as his voice became quieter,

"There's more to her condition, am I correct? Her... miscarriage with my little sister... there's more to it...is there?"

Lucas looked at him with determined eyes, even though it was painful to speak about Natalia. He was waiting, ready to know the truth.

The Don looked at the unwavering young version of himself. This boy had been keeping this assumption for a long time now, he could tell. With his character, it wouldn't be a surprise if he knew already.

Should he tell his son, his blood, about his secret then?

When his father's lips slowly parted to speak the answer he was looking for, his heartbeat went faster and time felt like it was stretching for too long...and then his eyes showed a glint of fear. For a moment, he could've sworn his father hesitated.

"And where did you get that story from?" was Natsu's answer, a low soft chuckle accompanied it, "You're still young with an active imagination."

Lucas blinked as the tension slowly faded away. He was taken aback. He was sure his father was going to say something else.

"Wha-..." he still could not believe it. His brows slightly creased, "Stop lying..."

"I'm not." Natsu said firmly, his face turning stern.