Chapter 2: Keris

(Two minutes into the song above is what Ariah is playing! But this is one of my favorite songs, so be sure to listen to the whole thing!)

I hear Ariah's bedroom door slam and the lock engage. I smile, knowing what's going to happen next. It's pretty much the only reason I tease her as much as I do. I hold my breath, waiting. Then I hear it: the haunting strains of her violin, echoing and filling her house. I hear it nearly every time I come to my best friend, Wyndar's house, and yet my mind still deserts me every time I hear her play.  It's... Enchanting. Ariah could play professionally if she wanted to, but she doesn't think she's very good. Every time I want to correct her, I have to remind myself that she hates me now. It'll be a year in June since we broke up. Wyndar is saying something, but I can't hear him. All I hear is the violin. 

"Hey!" He shouts in my ear, and I start. 

"Sorry, what?" He just smirks. "No, really, what did I miss?" 

"Nothin'." He says. Sometimes I hate my friend. I just look at him. "Keris likes Ariah, Keris likes Ariah!" Wyndar sings. I slap him with his hat. 

"No way! Not only is she a year younger than us, she's also your sister! There is no way on Archon that I like your sister!" I honestly don't know why Wyndar acts like an eight year old all the time, when we're seniors in high school. And I also don't know why I act like one, too, when I'm around him. One of the reasons we always meet at his house is that I don't want him to see how loaded the bookshelves in my room are. Wyndar's idea of a novel is an illustrated children's book. He thinks any book that doesn't have a picture on every page is pointless and not even worth reading. How did I become friends with this guy? Oh. Yeah. We're both on the basketball team. God only knows why I signed up for that in the first place. I must have been insane.

"Sure." He says, and I can tell he doesn't believe me. I think about Ariah. She's really short, with long brown hair and jewel-like purple eyes. She loves to read, is one of the top chess players in our district, plays the violin, and collects china dolls. I definitely don't have a crush on her. Not anymore. Even though she's still the most beautiful girl in the world. I'm over her. Right? I shake my head and focus on what Wyndar is saying before he realizes I wasn't listening.

(Isn't the violin so beautiful? I used to play one a few years ago, so I'm definitely biased, but I honestly could listen to them for a year and a day and never get tired of it.)