Chapter 6: Ariah

My body is ripping to shreds, and icy shrapnel is destroying what is left. And suddenly.....

It stops. I am whole again. I wince, my head hurting. I shake it and open my eyes. I am twenty feet from my family, and they are being dragged to a portal, presumably to Earth. I glamour myself to look like one of the humans- beige camo, with an AK-47 over my shoulder. I walk like they do, an odd, uniform, trot, and approach the man who was nearest to the portal. I salute like the humans do and he barely glanced at me. "At ease, private."

With a single word, I suddenly realize that these people in the matching outfits are Earthen military forces. Arkites have been watching them for years, and now I recognize that these particular uniforms belong to the American Army. Now I know how to react. I clasp my hands behind my back and spread my feet apart. "Sir?" I ask, careful to sound respectful. 

"Yes?" 

"Where are these creatures going?" 

He looks at my family. "Oh, the Subjects? They're going to a lab. Probably in Langley, somewhere."

 I nod, pretending like I understood what he was talking about. The man tells me to go do something, and I leave, pretending l was doing what he said. I already knew what my next step was. And unfortunately, I would need backup in the form of Keris Andover.

(Based on my reading, the CIA is mainly based in Langley, Virginia, which is why I thought of that song, ☝☝ and from what I've read (In like, three whole Stuart Gibbs books), they are pretty ruthless, y'all. How are Wyndar and Mrs. Quigly going to escape them?!?!?!?

 Why are you looking at me like that? Wait, you think I'M going to tell you? I'M asking YOU! Stop saying I'm supposed to know this! I haven't got the faintest clue! YOU are supposed to be telling ME how they escape!!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "I'M JUST THE READER?!?!?" HOW DO I- oh. ohhhhh. I see. 

Well. 

Clearly, I need to chill out.

 I'm sorry for yelling at you. I'm... 

I'm just gonna... 

I'm just gonna go.. 

sit over here for a while. 🪑

Call me when you're done.)