Chapter 16: Sargent Sutton

Bea listened carefully while Ben filled her in. "..So that's why we came to you." He finished. She sat there for a moment, processing the information, then turned around. "So y'all are fairies?" She asked the two teenagers. They looked at each other for a moment before the boy spoke up. "Arkites, but yes." 

"Cool!" Ben smiled to himself over Bea's exuberance. She had always loved this sort of thing. Ben and Bea had gone to elementary school together, and every day, he had seen her and her friends build fairy houses in the exposed roots of a tree on the playground. His father and hers were both football coaches, so they spent many summers cooped up in the coaches office watching Netflix with his brother, Tommy. Once, she'd beat both him and Tommy in a game of touch football, even though she preferred word games to physical activities. When his family moved to Illinois at the beginning of fifth grade, they became pen pals, with her telling him about how she'd discovered a love for reading, and him telling her about his new friends. Now, whenever he was on leave, he would be sure to visit her along with his family. Ben never married, but his brother did, and was now a sports broadcaster with a lovely wife, two wonderful children, and a promising career.

"BEN!" Bea yelled. He swerved, coming back to reality with a start. She gave him a slightly panicked grin. "Shouldn't drift off like that when you're behind the wheel. After all, you don't wanna kill us, right? Also, turn here: I've convinced the kids to try some Coconuts."

He laughed. "Can I have some, too?" 

"Of course!" She smirked, "After all, you're buying."

Yes, I think by this point I'm just using this book as a way to tell people about my favorite places. Yes, Coconuts has the second best chocolate ice cream I've ever had! I know what you're thinking: second best? Yes, it is second on the great ice cream list, but the number one spot goes to Toomer's Corner, which is in Alabama. And I'm sorry about putting in all that stuff about Ben and Bea's history; I couldn't not put it in.

Anywho, If you like the story so far,

Comment here 👉,

Vote✔,

Or just keep reading! 📖

Love Y'all,

                                            G.