Seventeen | Sibling Confessions

D A K O T A R E I D

~Due Date: Friday, October 30th 2:00 pm~

I have been sitting behind my desk all morning long.

I couldn't sleep at all last night. There is no reason for me to be nervous. Deep in my mind, I feel like I already know the results.

I keep stealing glances at Nyla's window. Her blinds are down meaning she is taking this off-day as an opportunity to sleep in. Today is a teacher workday, meaning no students will be at school today. That worked out perfectly, giving me time to read my essay one hundred times over and over again.

10:30 am.

No matter how hard I try I cannot stop thinking about the kiss from last Wednesday. Every time we look at each other, we share this certain look. I don't know how to describe it. It is more of the blank face expression but behind we can see exactly what the other is thinking.

I close my computer, leaving my room to go downstairs. Delaney beat me to the kitchen yet again. She turns her neck giving me a wave. "Good Morning."

"Morning."

"Guess where we are going tonight!"

"The Haunted House," I say as enthusiastically as possible. Once two o'clock hits the four of us; Atlas, Laney, Nyla, and I will be out of here. We are going to be exploring all of downtown Presley, including the annual fall festival. The corn maze is one of my favorites but when Atlas and I bring my sister, all she wants to do is go to the Haunted House.

Atlas has a trick up his sleeve. I mean... it is called trick or treating.

He is going to pull a Julian and scare Delaney and Nyla.

My sister is exactly like my mom, so I know we won't have any problems scaring the shit out of her. But for Nyla, I am not sure. It's been years since we went to the festival together so we don't know if she vibes with the scary things.

Knowing Nyla, she always thinks logically about things. She knows there are real people underneath the costumes so it doesn't scare her half as bad as it does for my sister.

"Did you know," my sister begins after taking a bite of her cereal, "Milo's daughter and her whole group of Sophomores will be there? We should sneak upon them. We know they don't like us Reids too much."

It should be the other way around. Milo was my dad's rival since high school. I should go and formally thank him for bringing my parents together but that would be out of character. His daughter isn't half as bad as her father but she still annoys the hell out of my sister, At, and me.

We kind of... umm scared the shit out of her and her friends last year. It was during this time of the year. They can deal with it for one more year since all of us will be off to college.

Speaking of college and universities in general, I have applied to most of my schools already. The main ones I am shooting for are NYU, Syracuse (pitiful I know), and Presley. I am planning on joking around with my parents and telling them I am going to Syracuse even though I am sure I will go to either NYU or PU.

"We should hire those fright-fest people to chase them with their prop chainsaws," I respond. Those props are scarily real. They have the sound effects as the real machines.

I sit next to my sister and rub my eyes. Staring at a computer screen so early in the morning was not the brightest idea.

"Nyla called me last night." Delaney begins.

"What was she talking about?" I ask as I slide my hand inside of my pocket to take out my phone.

Three missed calls from Nyla Dylans- 12:55 pm