Thirty | Always My Rival

N Y L A D Y L A N S

"If he doesn't want to go with you, then we volunteer," Atlas says as Delaney, him, and I are collectively sitting on the floor of Delaney's bedroom.

We came back from Florida about two days ago. The trip was beyond exhausting. Julian went to the South exit instead of the North but luckily caught himself immediately. The road we need to take was down for construction, so that added about another hour into our drive. Traffic was a pain, not to mention the Atlanta traffic we had to sit in for about an hour and a half.

None of us talked to each other yesterday. One of the sole reasons is because we are extremely tired. Today I guess I could say that we are more energized. Well... three of us.

I fucked up.

Badly.

But when I think back to it I feel glad I told him when I did. It was better for him to find out sooner rather than later. Besides, it seems like everyone was announcing their acceptance to Syracuse that week. He would've found out one way or another.

There is nothing wrong with going to a school that you know you will be happy at rather than going to the one that might make you miserable.

All of us have our own educational needs and to put a boy in front of it all seems like a dumb decision. He has Atlas and Delaney with him. I am a short thirty-minute drive away. What more could he want? Me to be there with him.

"Trust me, Nyla. He told me last night he accepted it. He is excited for you and he keeps reminding himself you two will see each other a whole bunch. Plus, what is wrong with another rivalry?" Delaney says, fiddling with the rips of her jeans.

Rivalry. I am calling this Rivalry 2.0

Not exactly a 2.0 since we both have the chance to be number one at our school but still, Presley vs Syracuse will be a fun one to watch in the future.

"Oh," Delaney laughs. "Do you want to know what else he told me last night?"

"Hmm?"

"He is wearing his Presley shirt to the Syracuse campus on purpose."

I give myself a facepalm. "He is going to get us attacked! Does he not know how brutal those people are?"

"He is well aware. He wants to annoy you."

Delaney's bedroom door was slightly opened and now it is opening all the way. I tired looking Dakota is standing in the doorway. "Look, I am appreciative of you talking about me, but Nyla and I have to hit the road or else we will be stuck in traffic." My eyes meet Dakotas and he is already looking at me. "You should come and help pick out a Presley shirt. Maybe you should wear one too."

"Dakota, don't you dare!" I say, following the guy to his room. He closes the door behind him and motions me to sit in his desk chair. He opens his closet doors to reveal a very organized wardrobe. He moves a few hangers to the side and takes my hand leading me closer to the closet.

"Pick a nice one."

"You are going to get us stared at while we are there."

"Exactly my point."

"Nyla, what about this one. It looks oddly familiar doesn't it?" He takes out the sweatshirt I borrowed at the football game. I nod and he gives the royal blue sweatshirt to me. "Keep this one. It will save you during the winter times. Plus, I will always be on campus with you."

I take it knowing there is no way I will have the guts to wear this on campus. I take it because I never wanted to give it back in the first place.

I set it flat on his bed and return next to him. Being a bitch I got to the orange section of his clothes and pull out an Orange sweatshirt. Who knows when he got this one.