Twenty Two | Results

N Y L A D Y L A N S

I was right.

I cannot eat at all this morning. As much as I want to, my nervous stomach is thinking otherwise.

We are getting our transcripts in first period and don't plan on opening them until lunch. I am trying to pull the least amount of attention possible today. No one but our friend group knows it is going on today and I want it to stay that way until the official announcements in December.

I close my house door behind me and step out in the dark early morning hours. I slide my phone in the back pocket of my jeans before leaving my driveway to walk to the Dubois house.

Atlas volunteered to drive us to school today because he said that in case Dakota and I get mad at eachother about the results he will be our peacemaker. In other words he doesn't want Dakota driving because he will probably leave all of us at the school.

Like most mornings, Delaney is running down her driveway with some sort of toasted bagel. Dakota is walking slowly behind her, carrying his soccer bag in his right hand. I have to wait until after practice to read out letters to each other.

We all wait by At's car, waiting for him to get out of his house. A weird silence is surrounding us this morning. None of us are talking to each other.

The crunch coming from Delaneys hurried bagel eating causes Dakota and I's heads to turn to her.

"Sorry. Too early for bagel crunching?" She wipes her hands off with the paper towel she brought with her. "Can you guys ding dong ditch him or something?"

As soon as she says that, Atlas comes out of his house with a million things in his hands. His backpack is hanging loose on one shoulder. His soccer bag is on the other. He has a soccer ball in one hand and his keys in the other.

Somehow managing to toss his keys to Dakota, he asks him to start up the car so he can put all the things away. I take the soccer ball and Delaney takes the heavy soccer bag. He ajusts his backpack and takes the things back from us.

"Slept through your alarm?" Delaney asks.

He nods. "My mom also didn't let me leave until my plate was empty."

We get to school at a reasonable time, not too early or late. All of us separate and walk into our first class of the day. I take my seat in the back corner by the window. The work our teacher assigned today is busy work. It does its job, you know, keeping me busy. All of that lasts for ten minutes then I am done with my paper. I put my head down on my desk until a tap echoes from my desk and my teacher slides my envelope to me.

Wasting no time, I slide it away into a folder of mine to not have the urge to open it.

I meet up with Dakota in the hallway during transitioning and try to get our minds off of what we are thinking about at the moment. "Did you have a good breakfast?" I randomly ask. Anything but school talking should be appreciated.

"I didn't eat anything." He responds, turning the corner.

"Neither did I."

His head turns to look at me. "Nyla, you have to eat breakfast. It's not good for you to skip that."

"I tried eating toast with strawberry jelly on top but I only ate half."

"I have a granola bar if you want to eat it." He offers. I decline as we walk into our classroom.

Two more classes until it is time to reveal our results.

*****
I get to the lunch table last today. It was more than inconvenient to have five students in front of me at the clinic today. As I was checking my blood sugar I overheard that the people had stomach issues and headaches. I couldn't relate more.

"There she is!" Delaney says rather excitedly when she sees me. I slide my envelope to her and sit next to her brother.

"Be as quiet as possible." I warn. "I don't want the whole cafeteria to know what is going on over here." Delaney nods in understanding, waiting for At to tear off the top of Dakota's envelope.

"We will look at the numbers then leave the cafeteria to announce it to you two." Sounds like a plan. Dakota and I have to look away while they open the folded paper underneath. A dramatic gasp from Delaney and a oh shit from Atlas later we look back. "Let's go to the hallway near my mom's orchestra room."

Sneaking past the administrators, we walk down the empty halls and make it near the Orchestra room. Dakota and I stand on one side of the hallway and Laney and Atlas are on the other. They try to discuss how to announce it to us.

I go from fiddling with the hem of my shirt to the end of my hair. At eyes us suspiciously and it makes me wonder why I agreed to have them do this. "Can we hurry this up? The bell rings in five minutes."
"I agree. I think I might pass out due to my blood levels slowly dropping."

"How do you want us to announce it?"

Were they not discussing this a few minutes ago? "It doesn't matter. Say the name."

"Okay, Mr. and Mrs. Feisty. I will say the name so don't be mad. Let's be friendly to each other after this." Somehow we agree and Dleaney takes one of the transcripts and clears her throat. "Atty, get ready to say the winner." He nods waiting for his cue.

"The Valedictorian for this school year is..." Delaney drum rolls then stops giving Atlas the are you serious look. "Dubois, that was your cue."

"Oh right, my bad. Congrats to... who was it again? Oh right Dakota!"

I was about to cheer and congratulate Dakota but for some reason no one else is cheering. I look at Dakota who has confusion plastered on his face and Delaney could face palm herself enough. "Atlas Elijah Dubois, you had one job and blew it!"

"Nyla!! Congrats you are the actual Valedictorian!" He cheers ignoring Laneys fuss. "I wanted to create a scene. I think it worked out well."

Dakota congrats me by ruffling the top of my head. "Congratulations Ny." He says it like he truly means it.

They give me a hug, each congratulating me individually. "Thank you guys." I say. "But don't do too much because we can't be getting a lot of attention."

"Oh Nyla you will be getting a lot of it when everything is officially announced in December." Delaney reminds me. "But for now we will stir away from this, for your guys sake."

The bell rings, dismissing us from our lunch break. At and Delaney take the long way to class and Dakota and I take the main way.

"Did I already say congrats? Truthfully, I'm proud of you."

"Am I hearing you right? You're not disappointed?"

He can't bind his smirk when he says, "There is no one I would rather have take my spot."

"Oh shut up." I laugh. "You don't mean that."

"I do mean it. Seriously Nyla, every word."

"I believe you. But please, let's stop talking about this. I am not a bragger."

"I guess that changed since the last time I went to school with you." He says as we join the crowded hall. "Ms. Valedictorian."

a/n:

Did I just upload this during school?? Lol yes.

Y'all better not hate me for the next chapter cause I think it is super cute

Have a good day and see ya at the end of chapter 23!

Don't forget to vote!

<3 Mina