5. DAGGER

December 1994.
Three years after the serum.

Vivaldi's Winter notes were blasting through her headphones, almost drowning out the sound of gunshots, releasing serotonin throughout her body. Her right arm straight in front of her, held in place by her left hand. Finger on the trigger of her favorite Glock 19.

One. Two. Three. Four. Anya counted in her mind as she hit the targets. One after the other. Never missing one.
She placed the gun back on the table in front of her and headed for another shooting station, this time taking a Vz.61 Skorpion. Anya felt relaxed, completely in her element, as if she were taking a walk. She placed the small machine gun in her hands. Three. Two. One. And the target was pierced with a few 7.65mm holes.

She nodded satisfied to herself, then the sound of the door opening brought her back to reality. It was the Colonel.
Anya took off his headphones and walked over to Karpov.

"Аня." the man called her by the name he had chosen especially for her. Anya. She liked how it was written in Cyrillic.
"I have important news for you." he put his hands on her shoulders. "Tomorrow will be the big day. We will test you and finally decide if you're ready."
She looked at him confused.
"It is necessary to take your place in the world. Now go train, the Asset is waiting for you." he explained.

The girl let out a shaky sigh and nodded.
"Yes, sir." she walked away and down the corridor, past a few doors. Shortly after she entered the room she was looking for, closing the door behind her.

The walls and floor were made of concrete, the furniture was limited by a table and two chairs, one of them was already occupied by the figure of the Soldier. The rest of the room was completely empty, as the space was meant to be used for sparring.
The girl took a seat across the table and watched as he flipped a knife between his fingers.

It was nothing new for the Soldier to train others. It had to be simple. Train her and return to his cell. That's it.
But he was always looking forward to training with Anya. Even if he could never tell her.

"Karpov wants to test me tomorrow." Anya began the conversation.

He nodded slowly. "You'll have to face some exercises. The Colonel and some Hydra leaders will be there to test you." he explained looking at the girl.

"I don't feel ready." she looked down with a frown on her face.

"All I know is that they will test your physical stamina. You will have to prove that you can use various weapons. There will be some fighting." the Soldier clarified.

Anya simply nodded, looking back at him. His blue eyes were locked down to the table, as if he was triggered by something but couldn't say what.

"Penny for your thoughts?" she asked, resting her elbows on the table and leaning her chin in her hands.

The Soldier brought the knife up to the girl's face, an inch from her nose, and locked his gaze into her wide green eyes.
"Никогда не расслабляйся. (Never let your guard down.)" with an almost disturbing grin, then pierced the table leaving the knife stuck in the wood. Anya looked at him in surprise.

Lately she happened to get easily distracted.

"What happens if I fail?"

The Soldier rolled his eyes and rose from the chair.
"Just because you took longer than the others to train, doesn't mean you failed, or will fail. They're frozen now, but you? Look at you. You won't fail. Remember that."

Anya sighed.

"Besides, I think I've trained you pretty well. Think of it this way, we could go on missions together later." he positioned himself behind the chair she was sitting on, placing his hands on the table on both her sides, trapping her.