12. RED ROOM

Warnings: Red Room & Dreykov. Being sexualized. Forced to kill, minors dying. Angst, blood and graphic contents. Mentions of scars and nervous tics.

--

January 1996

'If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from', Luke Skywalker would say. He clearly didn't know there's worse. For example, a Hydra base nestled in the perpetually icy mountains of Siberia.

And just when Anya thought everyone had forgotten about her, that they had left her to rot in that cell.. the heavy metal door finally opened with a spine-chilling creak.

The figure was backlit, but Anya could recognize him anyway. One of the few figures she will never forget in her life. It will remain forever etched in her mind and she'll forever shake at the mere memory. Perhaps she preferred being forgotten in her room, after all.

Karpov took a few steps inside and heavily dropped a black box on her bed.

"Get ready. The helicopter leaves in thirty minutes." he said without any emotion and left the room.

Suddenly Anya's heart started beating again.

A mission.
Finally outside.
Will he be there?
God, I hope so.
Will he remember me?
How will he react?

These were the thoughts that haunted her as she hastily prepared. A quick shower, hair braided into her usual hairstyle -the best braids she could do- her black suit.. and there it was. Her belt. She buckled it on her hips, heavy with the many weapons it was equipped with.

Anya took a few steps across the room, got to her bed and lifted the mattress from the corner. There, between the thin mattress and the old bed frame that made annoying noises with every movement and seemed to pierce her back, there it was.

The Winter Soldier's dagger. She held it in her hands, close to her chest and stroked the red star on the handle, then she slipped it into one of the holsters on her leg.

Mask on and dark eyes, she crossed the whole base. She was pretty wired. The hope of seeing the Winter Soldier again was the only thing that kept her going on. Her only fuel. But when the double door opened over the helicopter's take-off platform, he wasn't there.

As the icy air pierced the exposed skin of her face, she felt her eyes fill with tears and her throat sting. But quickly shrugged that feeling down her shoulders at the single thought of being tortured for crying on a mission. As she headed for the helicopter she noticed that some soldiers were already up.

She got inside and took the seat reserved for her, the one right next to Karpov. Anya took her seat and tried to suppress with all her willpower the urge to throw him out of the helicopter, or stab him in the chest, or shoot him in the head, or even choke him.

"Excuse me Sir, may I ask you where we are headed?" she asked at some point.

"To the Red Room." Anya swallowed the lump that instantly formed in her throat.

She knew about the Red Room, the Winter Soldier had told her about it, and that years ago he had been involved in the Black Widow Program. They took girls based on their genetic potential as babies, while others were literally purchased from their parents.

The chosen girls were put through strenuous daily training, including hand-to-hand combat training, acrobatics, weapons training, and tactical skills. They were forced to watch videos full of subliminal messages for a slow brainwashing. The training also included intense ballet dance lessons, where they had to repeat their routine over and over again, so they could become unbreakable.