8. MISSION

Warings: a lot of swearing, action, explosions, shooting, panic attack. A little bit of fluff. 5600 words. Some references from the comic series "Tales of Suspense (2017-2018)".

--

March 1995.

Anya sat on the floor, one leg flat on the ground and one knee bent against her chest, which she leaned her arm on. Her forehead rested on the forearm.

It was time. She could hear him coming. She simply would've preferred not to be there when it happened. The heavy door of her room suddenly swung open, causing her to flinch a little. She raised her tired, swollen eyes, her face was scratched with tears.

That man was so disgusting, she could have vomited right then and there.

"У меня есть для тебя миссия. Удалить и извлечь. Без свидетелей. (I have a mission for you. Eliminate and extract. No witnesses.)"

Anya slightly parted her lips to say something but was interrupted by a thud on the mattress behind her. A box had been dropped on her bed.

"He will meet you in 30 minutes at the elevator. Get ready." and Karpov left the room, slamming the door behind him.

Anya's heart made a somersault.

What? Seriously, girl?
What the fuck. Just think for a moment.
He was there, ready to kill you.

It was true, she trusted him. And he betrayed her. But she couldn't help it.

How would he react? How would we cooperate on this mission after so long without seeing each other?

She didn't even know how she would react herself, and now she was trying to predict what he would think about her. All mixed with a good dose of resentment and hostility. 

I must be insane.

She got to her feet and walked over to the bed, ran her fingertips over the box. Anya sighed and finally opened it. Inside was a holster but her gaze frowned as she realized it wasn't her old holster. This one had more pockets, more weapons, and on the buckle in the center was a red skull with tentacles. The symbol of Hydra.

Immediately her hands searched for -among all the weapons- the dagger the Soldier had gifted her that night, and when she found it she held it in her hands, feeling pleasantly relieved.

She moved the belt out of the box, revealing more of what it contained: a combat suit, similar to the one she used to wear for training, but this one was black. She traced the sewings that shaped the fabric with her fingers. It had hard reinforcements on its wrists, elbows, shoulders and knees, and there was that red symbol on the shoulders too. 

Anya changed the clothes she wore with the suit, fastened the holster on her hips and thighs, tightening well. She made her way to the small mirror in the bathroom. As she carefully braided her hair, she watched the reflection.

The world is about to know the monster I have become.

At the very bottom of the box were a pair of fingerless gloves, which Anya put on right away, and a black mask. She took it in her hands, examining it and thinking about why she should ever wear a muzzle.
She sighed and slipped it over her head, letting it dangle over her chest.

Ew, I feel like a puppet. A dog ready to obey and execute orders. 

Her footsteps, made heavy by her combat boots, marched down the hallway just to stop in front of the elevator at its end. All the way she had kept her gaze fixed on the black figure with the glistening arm, that was waiting for her in front of the doors leaning against the wall, giving his back to her.