Bar

Being over six thousand miles from home can be a blessing and a curse. For Opal Walton the distance comes as a blessing. Coming from New York high society caused Opal a number of mental illnesses; depression, anxiety, eating disorders, all because she believed she wasn't good enough, outgoing enough or pretty enough, and with no one telling her otherwise, her mind went into a downward spiral. Once she moved to South Korea she noticed a change in her mood and behavior, she gained weight, and regained a healthy relationship with food, while staying fit and putting a healthy workout routine in place.

Being out of work also gave her time to spend her evenings in clubs and bar, while her carefree lifestyle allowed her whatever or whomever she wanted. One night Opal is seating and drinking at a bar she had hundreds of nights before, dressed in a pencil skirt and loose silk button up blouse, from a day of failed job interviews. While she drinks she notices a man cautiously watching her. Somehow she always seems to forget a white woman tends to stand out in a place like Seoul.

The man was tall, with glasses underneath his bangs which cover his forehead. He is dressed in rather nice suit, it is decently made and grey. The man waits a few minutes before quickly downing a shot and approaching Opal, as if he had to speak to her before he lost his nerve, "hello," the man greets her in English.

Opal chuckles and responds to the man in Korean, "I've been here for three years. No need to speak English."

"Oh, I'm sorry," the man replies in Korean, "I shouldn't have assumed..."

"I'll forgive you, for a drink."

The man chuckles, "of course." With a smile he sits next to Opal, gesturing for another drink before glancing over to Opal as she turns back to the bar, looking over her body. She is very different from anyone else here, her pale skin with its pink undertones and her full hips and breasts catching his eye. "Do you live around here?"

"I do," Opal nods, "I'm just a couple blocks over."

"It's a nice neighborhood, what do you do for work?"

"I'm between jobs at the moment." She looks over the man as a fresh drink arrives, "what about you?"

"I'm in business; stocks, bonds... investments..."

"Sounds lucrative."

"It can be. But I seem to be on hard times at the moment."

"Aren't we all," Opal chuckles before taking a drink. "So, why did you come over here? Do you always hit on tourists?"

"No," the man chuckles as he looks around the almost empty bar.

"Then what? I looked like the only one who'd say yes?"

"That all depends on what you think I'm asking."

Opal licks her teeth before she nods, "well..." She turns to the man, running her fingers around the brim of her glass. "You could simply be offering a drink to someone down on their luck."

"Maybe."

"Or you could be looking for someone to chat the night away with."

"What would you say to that?"

"That depends on what you mean by chatting?"

"With someone like you I'd rather let our bodies do the talking."

Opal chuckles and finishes her drink with a large gulp before getting up and walking away from the man. The man stays at the bar, hanging his head a bit, once she's a few feet away and at the door, she realizes that the man is still at the bar and she turns back to him. "Are you coming or not?"