Morning After

Since it was so late when they got back to Opal's apartment the man from the bar ended up crashing there. When he wakes up the next morning he is surprised to find the area in the bed next to him is empty. He looks around and notices that his shirt, slacks and shoes are still on, but his shirt is open, and his jacket is on the back of the door. When he sits up and hangs his legs off the side of the bed he gets a slight headache, rubbing his forehead before he looks over to his jacket, wondering if his wallet is still in the inside pocket. He gets up and takes the jacket off the back of the door, before taking his wallet out of its pocket. To his surprise, nothing is missing. He lays the jacket on the bed before he begins to button up his shirt and tucks it back into his pants. Before he exits the room he grabs his jacket off the bed and checks to make sure he has everything he needs; his wallet, keys, and glasses.

When he exits the room he is surprised to see a sweat covered Opal, standing in her kitchen, headphones in and dancing around as she looks through her cabinets. She must see him out of the corner of her eye because as he steps into the living room she whips around as if she shocked he's still there. She laughs as she takes her headphones out of her ears, "sorry, I thought you left while I was out."

"Uh, no." He gestures back to the room, "I just woke up. Where did you go?"

"Just on a quick jog."

"And you just left me here, in your apartment, all alone? You were worried about me stealing anything?"

"Well, I mean, look around, there's nothing to steal."

The man looks around the room and notices that there is very little in the apartment, other than a small television and a small table. "Uh," he then takes out his wallet, taking out a five thousand won bill, before offering it to her.

Opal stops in her tracks and places a hand on her hip, "that had better be to help replace the picture frames we broke last night."

"Uh, no..."

She then crosses her arms, "then what is it for?"

"Uh, breakfast, or lunch, I'm not sure what time it is."

Opal shakes her head, "I don't want your money."

"No, but you need it."

Opal scoffs, "what makes you say that? You don't even know my name, but you think you know what I need?"

"Look, I'm just trying to be nice."

She sighs and nods, "alright, I'm sorry."

The man walks into the small kitchen and leans against the counter, "do men often think you're a prostitute?"

"It seems that's the only job a white woman could have in South Korea."

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up here?"

Opal shrugs and pulls herself up onto the counter, "we don't even know each others' first name, are you really interested in how I ended up in South Korea?"

"Just making small talk," the man shrugs, "but I'm Cho Sang-Woo."

Opal chuckles as Sang-Woo extends a hand to her. "I'm Opal Walton," she takes his hand and he gently shakes it.

"It's nice to meet you, Opal."

"It's nice to meet you, Sang-Woo."

"Now that we have been properly introduced, would you care to talk about how you ended up here?"

Opal sighs and lays her head back, with a soft groan, "why are you so interested?"

"Call it a genuine curiosity to get to know a sexual partner."

Opal shakes her head and takes a deep breath, "uh, I moved here from up state New York after my grandfather died. I have a horrible relationship with the rest of my family so once he was gone there was no reason to stay."

"Why South Korea?"

"It was the farthest away I could think of." The two chuckle, "no, my grandfather had brought me here before on a trip. Thought it would being back memories of better times."

"Did it?"

She shrugs, "not as many as I'd hoped, but some, yeah."

"Then it doesn't seem like a total waste. I have to say your Korean is very good, I can barely hear an accent."

"That's what happens when you move to a country and don't know the language, you pick it up fast or you don't stand a chance. I knew a couple words when I got here, but this conversation definitely wouldn't have happened."

"If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?"

"Twenty-eight. Why?"

"No reason," Sang-Woo shakes his head.

Opal chuckles, "well, how old are you?"

"I'm, uh, forty-six."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"And no wife or kids?"

"Nope," Sang-Woo shakes his head, "I've always been too focused on school or work for that."

Opal shrugs, "that's never a bad thing, working on bettering yourself."

"I suppose not," Sang-Woo tries to hand Opal the money again, but Opal puts a hand up and shakes her head. "Please take it. Go get yourself breakfast or something. Please."

Opal sighs, "only if you go with me."

"Fine, let's go."