VIPs

Since there are only two players left, Gi-Hun and Sang-Woo, the staff feels it appropriate to immediately take them to the final game. They take the two of them down a dark almost cave like tunnel, before stopping at a door, "player 218 and player 456, welcome to the final game. Before we begin, we'll flip a coin to decide who plays offense and defense. Please choose a shape. Triangle or square."

Gi-Hun, who has been staring down Sang-Woo since they left the bunk area, chooses, "triangle."

The staff manager flips the coin, tossing it high into the air and catching it between his hands, "it's triangle. Please choose either offense or defense."

"Offense."

"Player 456 will play offense. Player 218 will defend," the staff manager then turns around and the two staff members beside him open the doors, revealing the field where they had played Red-light, Green-light. "For the final game, you'll both be playing Squid Game."

It isn't until the pair walk out on to the field that Opal is able to see them, watching from above the field with her father and the other VIPs. "Squid Game," one of the VIPs lowers his glass from his lips. "What an odd name."

"It was originally a children's game," the man with a dark and sharp mask speaks with a highly distorted voice. It still sounds human, but it is lowered several octaves, "that was played in Korea many years ago."

"Why did they stop playing it?" Opal looks over to the man in the dark mask.

"If you'd listen, dear," her father, who now has his mask back on, looks over to her, "you'd know."

Opal looks back down to the field as the staff manager begins to explain the game, "let me explain the rules of Squid Game. One, the attacker must enter the squid shape court, run past the defense, and then tap the area inside the squid's head with his foot to secure the win. Two, the defender must block the attacker's advance and force them outside of the court's bounds in order to win. Three, if a situation arises, in which either player is unable to continue playing the game, the last one standing will be the winner."

When the staff manager stops explaining they have reached the court and turns to the two men. Gi-Hun looks over Sang-Woo, "a players unable to continue. Could you explain that?"

"That would be referring to the player's death. And now, with that, let the game begin."

Sang-Woo and Gi-Hun take their positions on the court, Sang-Woo in the middle and Gi-Hun at the far end. "To answer your question," the man in the dark mask looks over to Opal, "Squid Game is no longer played because of all the games that children played back then, it was the most physical and violent."

"So any kind of violence is allow," Oliver looks over to the man in the mask.

"Sure, there are no restrictions."

Oliver chuckles, "I hope that boyfriend of yours knows how to fight. Maybe, if he wins, he can come back to New York with us. You know," he looks down to Opal, "once that pretty face of his heals."

Opal glares up to her father before looking back down at the court, where Gi-Hun is tying his shoe. He then hops on one foot to the side of the court. "Why is he hopping on one foot?" A VIP questions.

"The attacker is given a handicap." The Front Man explains, "he can only hop on one foot until he crosses the squid's neck."

"Oh, so the defender tries to block him," Oliver nods, trying to completely understand the game and trying to enjoy it to the fullest, despite his daughter.

"Yes. That's the first challenge of this game."

When Gi-Hun moves around the squid, Sang-Woo follows, making sure he stays close to him. Gi-Hun's shoulders are heavy as he speaks to his old friend, "we always used to play this as kids. When we cross... do you remember what we used to call it?"