We Don't Want to Bang

When Knight and I arrived home, Jace was sitting on the doorstep. I looked to Knight for confirmation that we were witnessing the same thing, then back to Jace, before looking back to Knight.

"Did you forget about our project meeting today?" said Jace, clocking the confused look on my face.

"Didn't we have a meeting yesterday?" I asked. Yesterday, when we'd fought and kissed and become friends, bonded in multiple ways I never thought I would be with Jace Hartley. I'd always thought I was destined to hate him forever, but apparently Cady had been right when she'd said I had angry sparks with Jace Hartley. Because, dear god, had there been a spark yesterday. Not that I would ever admit that to him.

"We did," said Jace. "But we didn't finish, remember? Because of the, uh..."

"Making out," Knight chirped.

"Yes, that," said Jace.

I groaned. I didn't want to do my homework, and honestly, the sight of Jace Hartley's face at the moment was confusing more than anything. I opened my mouth to proclaim that we could put the work off for another few days—mostly so that the awkwardness could die down—when Knight chimed in. "If you guys are worried about being totally awkward, I'm happy to provide a buffer."

"Do you buffer, or just commentate the awkwardness?" Jace asked.

"Both," said Knight cheerfully. "I'm a great multitasker like that."

"Right."

I climbed the front stairs, past Hartley and slid the key into the lock. Behind me, I heard Jace scramble to his feet and hike his backpack up. Knight came to stand behind me as I unlocked the door and identified myself to the security system.

Peaking around the door, I noted the empty entryway. I'd been forced to habitually make sure that the house was empty of notable residents. Austin was the only one who knew about Knight, and I intended for it to stay that way. But when I saw none of my family or any of our staff—confirmed by the engaged security alarm—I knew that Knight was safe to enter. Liv was probably in Casserine with Elena; our cousin was getting married in a few weeks, and Liv and myself were both bridesmaids, though she was performing the bulk of the duties, since she wasn't at school. Mum was likely at work, and who knew where Dad ever was. Probably some Zumba class, or something of the sort. He was kind of quirky like that.

"Alright," I said to Knight. "Coast is clear."

He pranced past me and through the open door. Knight enjoyed having free reign of the house, and the absence of Liv meant he could spend the afternoon in the study room—what he had fondly dubbed the Jace Hartley shrine—without being caught by my sister, who shared the space with me.

"I will never get over your house," said Jace, stunned as he admired the sleek opulence of the entryway. "It makes me understand your arrogance a whole lot more. Even Daria would be arrogant if she lived like this."

"No, she wouldn't," I scoffed. "Because she would have already donated the entire house to charity. She's better than all of us."

"True."

Knight had made his way into the kitchen cupboard, examining the contents critically. Clearly, the snack we'd had a mere hour ago had not filled his stomach. Feeding teenage boys was hard.

"Get out of the kitchen, Knight," I said. "We need to get started on our project, and our buffer is required."

The boys followed me up the stairs to my room.

It was strange, having them in tow. My two new friends; my enemy turned friend, and my acquaintance turned roommate. But they were chattering away like two old friends, laughing and making jabs at my expense. They needed to stop that.