𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚕𝚘𝚝 𝙱𝚘𝚢𝚜

Benny Rodriguez

Benny watched the boy attempt to throw the ball but when it only landed a few feet in front of him, he looked down slightly. As the team laughed, Benny was left disappointed in his friends though he knew what they were like. "Hey!" A girl's voice gained his attention, he looked up to see a blonde girl his age standing there in a blue dress and the ball in her hand. She was the same girl who had stood up to Phillips, she was also seated in front of him in Mathematics at school. "Give us our ball!" Kenny called out to her to which she clearly rolled her eyes.

"Bullies!" She said and Benny instantly felt worse than before. She raised her arm in perfect pitching form before throwing the ball straight to Ham who stumbled slightly. "What the?" Ham muttered as he looked from Benny to Kenny then back to the mystery girl. The boys all looked to the girl who simply shrugged till she and Benny locked eyes, he was impressed by her pitch. She smiled slightly before turning on her heel and walking away with so much confidence leaving Benny stunned. "Yeah-yeah, did she just...?" Yeah-Yeah trailed off as Benny stepped forward.

"Not only is she hot, but she can throw a ball?!" Squints exclaimed as he turned to the others. Benny was still looking in the direction she had disappeared, he had never found so much interest in a girl before and yet, here he was, wanting to know her name. "Yo Benny, she throws better than Kenny!" Bertram said which caused an argument between them. Benny didn't care about what they were saying, not only did the boy interest him but the mystery girl had him questioning whether or not baseball is the only thing important in the world.

── ⚾️ ──

Scotty Smalls

Now everyone knew that Benny was different. Nobody ever voted or anything, but he was the leader. If it wasn't for Benny, I never would've made a single friend that summer, 'cause all the rest of those guys thought I was a lost cause. Even before we became friends, Benny and me were connected, connected for the one moment later that summer. . . When I'd get us all into the biggest pickle. . . Any of us had ever seen.

Whereas, Riley had made quite the impression on Benny Rodriguez. . . He was all about baseball, that was his only focus in the world but my sister, she turned his world upside down. He knew there were attractive girls at school. . . But something about Riley was different for him, perhaps her common love for baseball. . . or maybe a new kind of connection that neither of them were expecting.

── ⚾️ ──

Riley Smalls

The next day, Scotty told Riley that he was gonna ask Bill to teach him to play. She was proud of him and decided not to get involved to allow the two some time to bond with each other. She had a shower, brushed her teeth and tied her back in a ponytail. She threw on her ripped jeans, her baggy New York Yankies T-shirt and put on her slightly worn PF Flyers. Happy with her outfit, she pulled on her cap, pulling her ponytail through the back of it and picked up her baseball glove, placing it in her waistband.

She was slightly startled when she heard Scotty yelp, rushing to the kitchen she found her brother holding a piece of meat to his eye as Bill left to do some work. Riley smiled at her brother as she knelt down in front of him, "Remember when I came home with a black eye. You weren't supposed to copy me." Scotty smiled at his sister's teasing comment before sighing, "I caught the ball but..." Riley chuckled before ruffling Scotty's hair, "Don't stress, kid. You just gotta practice. Trust me." Scotty smiled at his older sister as the two began talking about random things.