𝚂𝚞𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚛 𝙳𝚊𝚢𝚜

Riley Smalls

Riley got up two hours before eight, showered and brushed her teeth. She changed into some jeans, a random shirt and tied a plaid shirt around her waist before throwing on her PF Flyers. She grabbed her hat, sitting the beak of the cap in her mouth as she walked to the kitchen tying her hair back. "Morning Riley," Her mother said before kissing her head. "Good morning, mom," Riley smiled before sitting down at the table. Riley pulled her ponytail through the back of the cap as she put it on. Her mother placed a plate of food in front of her as Scotty came into the kitchen.

Riley ruffled Scotty's hair as he sat down next to her, he pushed her hand away as she chuckled lightly before finishing off her pancakes. "So, what are the plans for today?" Karen, the sibling's mother asked with a smile on her face. "We're gonna head down to the Sandlot and play some ball," Riley answered as Scotty stuffed his cheeks with his pancakes. "That sounds great, kids. I'm glad that you've both made friends. But..." Karen trailed off before sitting opposite her daughter, putting her hands in Riley's as she continued, "Are you sure baseball is what you want to do?"

Riley sighed as she leaned back in her seat, "Of course, mom. I love baseball and even though the boys can be a piece of work... I really think they are worth it." Scotty smiled from next to her. Karen smiled softly, "Alright sweetheart." Riley nodded as the doorbell rang causing the two Smalls' siblings to look at one another. Riley got up and made her way to the door adjusting the plaid shirt around her waist before opening the door. Riley smiled as she looked up to see Benny standing there, he took a moment to look at Riley letting out a short stunned breath.

Riley smiled, "Hey Benny. I thought we were meeting you and others there?" Benny stood silent for a few more moments before coughing slightly and clearing his throat. "Y-Yeah. I, uh, I thought you might - that both of you might, uh..." Benny trailed off making Riley smirk at him. "I'll get Scotty and we'll head to the Sandlot," Riley tells him before walking towards the kitchen. She stopped and turned back to Benny whose gaze hadn't left her. "And Benny..." Riley began with a smile on her face, "If you wanted to walk with us, you just had to say so. We're friends now."

She continued into the kitchen, "Hey Scotty, Benny's here." Scotty turned to Riley with a smile before jumping up and hugging their mother bye. The two grabbed their gloves and headed out the door with Benny, Scotty walking ahead of the two older kids. "So..." Benny began while scratching the back of his neck. Riley looked over to him before focusing ahead of them, "Yeah?" Benny cleared his throat as he rolled his eyes to himself. "What got you into baseball?" Benny asked the girl.

She sighed slightly before shrugging, "I was always fascinated with sports and really, uh, took any chance to go against the stereotypes of our generation. But Baseball, I don't know, it kind of, uh, called to me." She looked up at the boy who was smiling softly at her. "I mean, Babe Ruth proved to the world how powerful a sport could really be and, uh, Baseball made me feel powerful against everyone," Riley finished. Benny nodded, "I get it. It's like you feel free, the adrenaline is soothing and you can't help but crave it." Riley smiled widely, she was happy to know that someone understands her.

── ⚾️ ──

Benny and Riley spoke the whole way to the Sandlot, Scotty joining the conversation occasionally. They finally reached the Sandlot with the others already there waiting for the three kids. "About time!" Squints called out to them. "Oh shut up, Squints!" Riley shouted back to the boy with a playful smile. She made her way over to second base as they all readied up for the continuation of the game, Ham was batting first. "Hamilton "the Babe" Porter. "Long-ball" Porter. Come on, DeNunez," Ham said proudly making the others laugh mockingly at the boy.