𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙵𝚊𝚒𝚛 𝙳𝚊𝚝𝚎

Riley changed into some high-waisted blue denim shorts, a baseball tee that she knotted at the bottom of her stomach before ditching her cap for the first time and letting her hair fall over her shoulders. She slipped into her PF Flyers and adjusted the laces before grabbing some extra money and shoving it into her pocket. She headed out of her room into the kitchen where Scotty was telling their mom about the fair and that they'd be back late.

Karen smiled up at her daughter, "You look beautiful, Riley. Have fun, both of you!" Riley and Scotty nodded at their mother before heading out the door to meet the boys at the Sandlot then they'd all walk to the fair together. "It's strange seeing you without your cap... AND having your hair down," Scotty stated as he looked to his older sister. "It's different but I don't mind it," Riley replied as she rested her hands in her pockets as her hair blew in the wind.

"Riley?" Yeah-Yeah spotted her first, the boys all turned to her and she smiled with flushed cheeks as they all gawked at her. The only time they had seen her like this was at the pool but it was different, she wasn't "one of the boys" now, no, she was a girl - a really pretty girl - who hung out with the baseball-loving geeks. "You look great!" DeNunez stated with a kind smile as Benny looked her up and down, his heart was racing as he adjusted the nice buttoned shirt he was wearing.

"So, let's go!" Riley cheered before leading the way, the boys all raced after her and began asking her a bunch of questions about her and her previous life. Benny groaned as he walked behind the team, Scotty stepped up next to Benny with a smile as Riley laughed at Ham and Bertram's argument before nudging DeNunez, the two of them racing forward laughing. "You really like my sister, don't you?" Scotty asked the older boy he looked up to.

Benny looked over to Scotty before looking back over at Riley as DeNunez lightly shoved her, the two laughing at the twins who were now lying flat on the ground as Squints and Yeah-Yeah stormed away from them. "Yeah, I do. She's... the first girl who has ever gotten my attention," Benny answered with a sigh. "I've always been about baseball and baseball alone, nothing else mattered to me, ya know?" Benny continued, Scotty nodded along letting the boy talk.

"But then... Riley showed up, with her beautiful smile and bright eyes. Her incredibly sweet personality and amazing skills in baseball. She just... changed everything and I didn't want to miss an opportunity that... seemed like..." Benny trailed off as he looked down feeling embarrassed about his feelings towards Riley. "Like fate?" Scotty asked with a smile. "Yeah... like fate," Benny repeated as he looked over to Riley again as she jumped onto Bertrams back, pointing forward before Bertram ran away from Kenny.

── ⚾️ ──

"Alright, it's my shout everyone!" Benny offered, the boys cheered as he stepped up to the ticket booth and bought everyone tickets. He handed them out before stepping up next to Riley, the boys all got rowdy and headed for the ride of their choice, the Anti-grav. "Crap! I almost forgot," Bertram spoke before pulling a bag from his back pocket, "Chaw!" Riley rolled her eyes and looked down before shaking her head, "Bad idea boys." They all ignored her except for Benny who nodded in agreement with her.

"I was savin' it for a good time," Bertram spoke before grabbing some chewing tobacco from the bag and chewing on it. "What is it?" Scotty asked. Riley snorted and looked to Benny with an amused smile. "Geez, Smalls... I s'pose you don't know who The Babe is either. It's Chaw. Plug. Wad. Chewing Tobacco!" Ham explained with a shake of his head almost like he was expecting Scotty to catch on to what he was saying.

Bertram passed the bag around to the others, Riley and Benny denied it and watched as everyone grabbed some for themselves. "Whadda you do with it?" Smalls asked curiously. "You're killin' me, Smalls. You chew it, of course!" Ham informed him before they all began chewing on it. "All the pros do," DeNunez tells Smalls with a small smile. "Yeah-yeah, gives ya tons of energy," Yeah-Yeah added.

Benny and Riley watched as the boys completely ignored their existence and headed off onto the Anti-Grav, Riley sighed and shook her head at the boys. Benny smirked and slipped his hand in Riley's and tugged her along with him towards the game stalls. "Well, we didn't have to sneak away because they forgot we were even here," Riley spoke as she looked around at the bright coloured lights and number of stuffed toys within the stalls.

Benny looked over to her with a smile as her eyes widened in amazement at the sights around them. "Beautiful..." Benny whispered, not expecting Riley to hear him but she did. She smiled before spotting a game stall she's always wanted to try. "Let's do that one!" Riley pointed to the balloon darts and Benny nodded before the two made their way over. Benny paid for both of them and they grabbed the darts, Riley went first and only managed to pop one balloon.

Benny noticed the slight pout on her face, he steadied his arm and managed to pop three balloons winning a prize. "Which one for the winner?" The stall man asked. Benny looked to Riley and she smiled before pointing towards a turtle plushie, the man grabbed the plushie and handed it over to Riley who instantly hugged the plushie to her chest, smiling widely up at Benny who practically swooned at the sight of her smile.

They continued playing more games before walking away with a few different prizes. "Did you see that guys face!" Riley cheered as she jumped about as they walked through the small crowd of people. "He was like "How did you win this? I rigged it!" and you were like "Pure skill!" and he was so not happy but like... seriously!" Riley continued, Benny simply smiled at the energetic girl before spotting the Ferris Wheel, he knew how to end their night.

"Well, what can I say? I had quite the motivator," Benny tells her with a smile before grabbing her hand and walking towards the Ferris Wheel. Riley looked up at where they were going and swallowed nervously, "We're going on the, uh, Ferris Wheel?" Benny looked at her and noticed her nervous state. "You gotta face your fears, come on... Do you trust me?" Benny asked. "Of course I do, I just... Don't trust the Ferris Wheel," Riley answered before letting out a breath.

He squeezed her hand, "We don't have to go on the Ferris Wheel..." Riley looked up at Benny and smiled, "Let's do it." He nodded and the two walked up to the booth, Benny paid for their tickets and they made their way onto the Ferris Wheel. Riley closed her eyes and took a deep breath before looking at Benny, he was admiring the sights as the Ferris Wheel slowly went up. She looked at the bright carnival and let out a calm sigh, it was beautiful.

But she wasn't expecting them to be stopped at the top of the Ferris Wheel, she let out a small shriek and moved closer to Benny as the cart rocked slightly. "Hey, you're okay," Benny assured as he slowly wrapped his arm around her waist, she closed her eyes and hid her face in his shoulder. Benny couldn't help but smile at the girl before taking a deep breath, "Riley..." She lifted her head to look at him, he slowly placed his fingers under her chin.

"Can I?" Benny whispered out. Riley smiled faintly and nodded, Benny leaned forward and the two locked lips, both frozen for a moment before they began to trust their instincts and continue. Riley's heart was racing and her stomach filled with butterflies, she melted into his hold as their mouths moved passionately making her feel warm and giddy. Benny was beyond ecstatic that the girl he liked was kissing him but most of all, he loved the feeling of her next to him.

Both kids went to their separate homes on high that night, Benny had even pulled her into another kiss after walking her home. Riley was smiling the whole time she walked into the house wishing her parents goodnight before walking into Scotty's room to find him pale and sweaty, she laughed knowing that the chaw and the ride made them all throw up. She refilled his water and kissed his forehead before going into her room, changing into her sleepwear before climbing into bed, falling asleep with a wide smile on her face.

── ⚾️ ──

Author Note
Should I write my own original content after writing the movie or should I only write my adaption of the movie? Let me know!

-Rose <3
{1522}