𝙿𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛 𝙷𝚒𝚝

Riley stood next to Scotty as their step-father put his luggage into his car, he had a business trip where he would be gone for a few days or so. "I'll be back in an hour, kids. I'm taking your dad to the airport," Karen informed her children before kissing each of them on their foreheads. "'Kay, where are you going?" Scotty asked Bill as he turned to them. "Chicago, on business for a week. Listen, Scott, while I'm gone, you're the man of the house. Understand?" Bill asked, resting his hand on Scott's shoulder.

Scotty nodded, "Yeah I guess so." Bill smiled satisfied before ruffling both of the kid's hair. "We'll take another stab at catch when I get back, okay? So, take care of things while I'm gone, I'm counting on you," Bill tells Scotty before turning to Riley and leaning towards her to whisper, "Make sure your brother doesn't mess up." Riley smiled at Bill's playful tone and nodded happily. Bill shook Scotty's hand before getting into the car and driving away, both kids waved to their parents.

Riley headed inside to change from her PJ shorts and shirt into some denim jeans and a random tee with a dolphin image. She brushed through her hair when a knock on her door caught her attention, she opened the door letting her hair fall over her shoulders. "Good morning," Benny's smooth voice echoed like a melody through Riley's head. Riley smiled up at him before brushing her hair out of her face, "Good morning, Benny."

Benny took a leap of faith and leaned down, he cupped her cheek and kissed her. Riley kissed him back with a smile, her cheeks were dusted pink as she blushed. Benny pulled away with a smile, "I couldn't help myself." Riley cleared her throat, "T-That's f-fine by me..." Benny enjoyed seeing her flustered state, he leaned forward to her ear. "You look beautiful," Benny whispered, Riley let out a small squeak before clearing her throat and stepping into her room.

Benny looked around her room with a smile as he admired all of the baseball memorabilia that decorated her pastel room. "This room is-" Benny began only for Riley to cut him off, "Not what you expected?" She turned to him with a smile as she adjusted her ponytail. "I was gonna say adorable, actually," Benny stated as he picked up her cap and put it on her head, gently pulling her ponytail through the back of the cap.

"Ready for today?" Benny asked with his usual smile, Riley nodded before quickly pecking his lips and walking out of her room leaving him standing frozen in his spot. She giggled to herself before making some toast and putting jam on it, as she went to take a bite, Benny snuck up behind her and bit into the toast. "Delicious," Benny whispered into her ear causing her to blush lightly, his hands rested on his waist as she cleared her throat.

"You're lucky I like you," Riley spoke before eating the toast, she turned around and noticed that Scotty wasn't around. "Where's Scotty?" Riley asked Benny as he stood up straight. "He's with the others, they went to buy some baseball cards. I told 'em that we'd meet them at the Sandlot," Benny explained with slightly red cheeks. "They teased you, didn't they?" Riley taunted with a smirk. Benny rolled his eyes playfully before picking Riley up and throwing her over his shoulder.

"What are you doing?!" Riley shrieked before laughing as Benny walked towards the living room, Benny chuckled as well before placing her down on the couch. "I'm teaching you a lesson," Benny warned in a playful tone before tickling Riley who was left in a fit of giggles. Riley begged for Benny to stop through her laughter, he smiled brightly at the wide smile and melody of giggles. He stopped tickling her, she took in deep breaths as the last few giggles left her lips.

Benny, not focused on the compromising position the two fourteen-year-olds were in, leaned down and kissed Riley again. He couldn't stop himself, he loved the feeling of her lips against his, he loved the thrill he felt through his chest and stomach. Riley rested her hands on Benny's chest as they kissed, she felt light-headed - but in a good way - and it was a feeling she hoped would never fade away.

── ⚾️ ──

Benny stepped up to the home base, once the two finally arrived at the Sandlot after being teased by the others, and practised swinging the bat. Riley stood behind him to the right ready to step up and bat, she was still thinking over the morning events in her head with a small smile on her face, not that they were an official couple but she like where things were heading. Riley turned her focus back to the game, ignoring the teasing from Yeah-Yeah and Squints.

DeNunez readied his pitch before letting the ball fly towards Benny, he hit the ball with a loud "CRACK" and the red lacing around the ball bursts. The baseball dermis flays, the string-wound innards fly into Yeah-Yeah's glove in the left field. The cowhide "figure 8's" lay there in the infield like huge swatted moths. The team gathered around the mess of a ball. "Bitchin'" Bertram says impressed. However, Benny was not as impressed as the others.

"Naw, it ain't!" Benny whined as he looked up at the others, Riley stood next to him with a sympathetic smile. "C'mon, Benny! Maybe two, three guys in history have ever busted the guts out of a ball. That's what the omen was!" Squints explained, the boys had earlier handed Benny a pack of baseball cards and inside was EIGHT MAURY WILLS cards and the boys believed it to be an omen to play but now, Benny wasn't too sure.

The team, minus Riley, all agreed with Squints explanation. "All's it means is that we can't play no more. It's only noon, and I just blew the whole day for us!" Benny complained as he side-glanced Riley who was focused on the busted ball, she was heavily impressed by the hit. "No, you didn't. It's the most amazing thing I ever seen," DeNunez exclaimed with a wide smile on his face, he truly was in awe. "Anybody got any money?" Benny asked ignoring DeNunez, but everyone shook their heads.

"Then it ain't okay, 'cause now we can't play no more," Benny finished off feeling annoyed with himself. Riley slipped her hand into Benny's in hopes to reassure him that it wasn't his fault, he smiled down at her. "Yeah, we can!" Scotty exclaimed as an idea hit him. "What? You got 98 extra cents just layin' around at home, Smalls?" Benny asked. "No, but I got a ball!" Scotty exclaimed before rushing off to the Smalls' residence. "A ball?" Everyone turned to Riley who shrugged. Little did any of them know, Scotty was about to put them in the biggest pickle, they've ever been in.

── ⚾️ ──

Author Note
I hope you all are enjoying the story!

-Rose <3
{1200}