𝚂𝚚𝚞𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚜, "𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙰𝚕𝚖𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚢"

Riley slipped on some high waisted denim shorts before throwing on a cropped shirt and her PF Flyers, she tied her hair back into a ponytail then grabbed her baseball mitt and cap. She headed out of her room and straight to the front door where Scotty was waiting for her, both of them rushed out the door and headed straight for the Sandlot. It had been a couple of days since the night at the treehouse and Riley was still convinced the story was a fake but every time she bought it up, they would shut her plans down.

So she had made a deal with them, if she ended up being right about just knocking on the door, then they all had to do whatever she asked them to do. And if they were right and she was wrong, then she'd do whatever they asked her to do. It was a risky deal due to the smirks on their faces but she was willing to take that risk, after all, the win would be so much sweeter. But as they sat there waiting for Squints and Yeah-Yeah to return with a new ball, Riley couldn't help but notice the hesitant looks on the boys' faces.

They were currently in the dugout hiding from the hot summer day, each of them was sweating like crazy due to it. Riley finished off her pop before squashing the can and throwing it into the bin, the boys cheered making her laugh slightly. Squints and Yeah-Yeah finally arrived at the Sandlot making the boys groan collectively. "Where have you guys been?" Benny asked them from beside Riley. "We've been waiting forever already!" Ham whined out. "Aw, Squints was pervin' a dish," Yeah-Yeah says making Squints shove him. "Let me guess, Wendy Peffercorn?" Riley asked getting a nod back from Yeah-Yeah.

Riley shook her head knowing all about the infatuation these boys felt towards Wendy Peffercorn, she was happy to agree with them about the beauty she had. "Shut up. I wasn't," Squints argued back against Yeah-Yeah. "Yeah, yeah, you were. Your tongue was hangin' out of your head, and you was swoonin'. Oh, Wendy Peffercorn, my darling lover girl," Yeah-Yeah teased making everyone laugh. "I said shut up! I've got a lot of things on my mind," Squints said before walking away from the others.

Riley patted his shoulder as he walked by her before she turned back to the others. "This pop isn't working, Benny," Ham said, Benny turned to face the boy. "I'm baking like a toasted cheese! It's so hot here!" Ham continued making Riley roll her eyes as she adjusted her cap. "It's 150 degrees out there. You can't play baseball. You have to call it for the day," Squints tells him before sipping from his pop. "You gotta listen to him, Benny," Bertram added before glancing at Riley for help.

Riley sighed as she looked at Benny, "They have a point, Benny. It's hot..." Riley removed her cap and began fanning herself, Benny stared for a moment before clearing his throat and turning to the team. "Vote then. Anybody who wants to be... a can't-hack-it panty waste... who wears their mama's bra, raise your hand," Benny tells them. The boys all looked to Riley who shrugged, "I already wear bra's, this doesn't upset me." Riley raised her hand as the boys blushed. Scotty gagged in response which made Riley laugh as the boys all raised their hands.

Riley looked up at Benny with a slight smirk, the boy sighed. "Fine, fine, fine... Be like that. So, what are we gonna do?" Benny asked. Riley jumped up with a smile, "Pool time!!" The boys all cheered as they all rushed off to get their swimwear from their homes. Riley walked side by side with Benny as Scotty raced ahead with Ham. "I know you wanna just play baseball, Benny. But..." Riley started before she began walking backwards facing Benny, "You've gotta have fun doing other things too. You're the best player in this town, nothing wrong with taking a break."

Riley winked at Benny before she made her way to her house leaving Benny blushing a bright red as he licked his lips and headed to his own place. Riley threw on her bikini top and bottoms before slipping on a dress to make changing easier. "You ready Riley?" Scotty called from outside her room. "Yeah, give me a moment. You guys go ahead!" Riley told him before pulling her hair from her ponytail and brushing it out. She carefully adjusted the short baby doll dress before heading out towards the local swimming pool.

── ⚾️ ──

Scott Smalls

Benny would've played ball all day, all night, rain, shine, tidal wave, whatever. Baseball was the only thing he cared about. But of all the things we ever did besides baseball, going to the pool was what he tolerated best. Even though none of us had ever seen a Playboy magazine, which we constantly lied about, we figured going to the pool was the next best thing to being there. It wasn't really the pool honey's like we said because if any one of them had come up to any one of us, we'd have just peed our pants. We all went because, well, Wendy Peffercorn was the lifeguard. But Benny... he had a new sight to see at the swimming pool.

── ⚾️ ──

Riley Smalls

Riley made her way into the pool in time to watch Ham cannonball into the water, splashing a group of girls tanning on the side. "Nice one Ham!" Riley called out, gaining the team's attention. She smiled at them as they watched her remove her dress to reveal her swimsuit, she put her dress into her bag and pulled out the sunscreen. "Holy wow..." Bertram spoke. "Yeah, yeah... wow," Yeah-Yeah added before Scotty splashed them. "That's my sister!" Scotty scolded making them all clear their throats and turn away. However, Benny's eyes didn't deter from the blonde as she rubbed the sunscreen on her arms.

Riley made her way over to the pool and smirked towards the older girls who were glaring at her. "CANNONBALL!" Riley shouted before jumping into the pool, splashing the girls. She swam up and laughed as she pushed her hair out of her face, turning to the girls and winking at them before swimming over to the boys. "Sorry I was a bit late," Riley says as she adjusts the straps of her bikini top. "It's fine, Riley. You weren't too late," Bertram assured as Squints turned his gaze to Wendy, followed by the others.

Riley laughed lightly before moving away from the boys, closing her eyes as she relaxed in the cool water under the hot sun. "You look, uh, good," Benny's voice caught Riley's attention. She opened her eyes to see Benny next to her as the other boys check out Wendy. "Thanks, Benny," Riley replied softly as she took a moment to look at him, her cheeks flushed pink seeing him shirtless. "You... look good too," Riley said before they both faced each other. The two of them were quiet as they slowly leaned towards each other until sudden shouts pulled them apart.

Riley and Benny looked to see Squints had dived into the deep end, both of them swam to the edge of the pool. Benny pulled himself out then helped Riley out, the two of them joined the others as Wendy began blowing air into Squints mouth. The boys began saying encouraging words in hopes that he'd hear them and wake up. Riley sighed when she saw Squints open his eyes and smirk at them, closing them before Wendy pressed her mouth to his again. Squints wrapped his arm around Wendy's neck and kissed her, the older teen pulled away and dragged Squints out of the pool with the others following behind them.

Riley grabbed her bag as they headed out of the pool. "And stay out!" Wendy shouted as she let go of Squints arm, the boys rushed to grab their clothes before heading down the shortcut to get to the Sandlot. "Oh, hey, here's your glasses. Did you plan that?" Ham asks Squints as he handed him his glasses. "Of course I did. I have been planning it for years," Squints tells him with a smirk. Ham laughed as he told the others, Riley watched as Squints walked up to the fence getting a smile and wave from Wendy. "Come on, Squints," Riley said as she pulled him along shaking her head.

── ⚾️ ──

Scott Smalls

Michael "Squints" Palledorous walked a little taller that day. We had to tip our hats to him. He was lucky she hadn't beat the crap out of him, or that Riley had a laugh too. We wouldn't have blamed her. What he'd done was sneaky, rotten and low... and cool. Not another one among us would've ever in a million years... even for a million dollars had the guts to put the move on the lifeguard. He did. He had kissed a woman, and he had kissed her long and good. We got banned from the pool forever that day. But every time we walked by after that, the lifeguard looked down from her tower, right over at Squints... and smiled.

However, there was another spark that united on the hot summer day at the pool. Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez had learnt that baseball wasn't the only thing in the world that filled the void in his heart. But a blonde girl with a quick step and a kind heart, Riley Smalls had become something much more to Benny. And he knew just what to do next...

── ⚾️ ──

-Rose <3
{1630}

✓ | 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐝 𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 ♡ Benny Rodriguezजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें